ML1100 Online Editing Question

tspisak

I just pulled my new ML1100 out of the box and started playing with it and ran into a problem with online editing.

Is the ML1100 online editing different then the SLC500 and PLC5? Is it only online editing in rpogramming mode NOT run-mode online editing?

Everytime I try to assemble edits (in REM RUN Mode) I get an "Assembled Edits Failed!" error and get booted offline.

revision to post:

I have downloaded several sample programs so I should be passed the first download error message mention in the documentation.

I been booted offline so far for:

1. adding a branch of "xic b3/2" to a rung "xic b3/0 ote b/1". this doesn't happen if I expand the datatable to two words offline, download, then make the online edit

2. changing a ote to a otl for O:0/5

Sometimes the "Change from Rem-run to Rem-prog" doesn't work and I have to switch modes with the LCD display.

Last edited:
Excellent.... Thanks for the link Ron.

I just got done with a project using the ML100's, and was having the same problem. Nothing about the project required online editing, so going offline and re-downloading the project didn't require (much) more time than I needed to put into it. I was just too busy to attempt to figure out why until now......

Although... According to the technote, it was for the eth-ip driver, and I am using the ethernet devices driver. I'll have to go test everything out and see if it still gives me some errors.

*slightly off topic*
*with a minor rant*
It sure would be nice if these technotes would explain WHY the changes being made needed to be made, and what possible effects they could have on OTHER projects.....

Last edited:
ML1100 requires RSLogix V 7.0, RSLinx V 2.5. Here's a link to the User's Manual:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1763-um001_-en-p.pdf

Please read Chapter 7 (Online Editing); it lists what you can and can't do in either Online RUN or Online PROGRAM modes. Of note on page 7-5 are RSLinx CIP Configuration settings. You needed to use the ETH/IP driver because the ML1100 is and ethernet/IP device (CIP protocol). SLC 5/05's can use either driver because they are "dual-stack" (CSP or CIP). Additionally, the ML1100 requires you to initially download an empty program or a program with 1 rung into memory the first time before you can begin online edits.

Since you brought up communications.....(slight thread hijacking)

If you are using an ethernet card on a controllogix to bridge to a 5/04, does it matter which ethernet driver you use? Is one going to be "better" than the other for troubleshooting purposes or online editing? And what are the real differences between CSP or CIP comm's?