Stratix 8300 to Core Switch

d21x

Hey everyone. I am trying to connect my Plant Switch (Stratix 8300) to the Business Core Switch. I am not an IT professional, so I am trying my best by reading manuals and doing Google searches. My IT dept does not support non-Cisco switches (yes I know it has Cisco internals), so I'm pretty much on my own. My problem is I am not able to Ping the Stratix 8300.

Below is my Network Diagram. Attached are screen shots of the Web Setup.

10.205.172.0/24 is my subnet.
10.205.172.2/24 = Stratix 8300
10.205.172.3-254/24 = Devices
Gi1/1 is connected to IDF Switch.

Here's what IT has done:
Create VLAN 205 on IDF switch (Now VLAN205 has been created on 10.200.171.121 and 10.200.172.10)
Change the VLAN of FA0/29 interface on IDF switch to VLAN205
Create sub-interface on the MPLS router for VLAN205
Create VLAN 205 on Core switch (10.200.172.10)

Am I doing something wrong on the Routing Page? Do I need to put the Core Switch IP address in the Gateway? Do I need to add Static Routes?

v3ef5g.png

Must be nice that your IT department can get away with saying "Sorry, not my job." I sure hope they don't ask for your help with any electricity that goes to Cisco switches; Sorry, we don't support that use...."

Anyway, I'm not a network expert, but at least I will try and help. If your 8300 has a netmask of 255.255.255.0 it can't communicate with the IDF switch which is on another subnet. The IDF switch needs to have an IP address on the same subnet as the 8300.

If the gateway is set to 10.205.172.1, what device has that address?

Last edited:
Must be nice that your IT department can get away with saying "Sorry, not my job." I sure hope they don't ask for your help with any electricity that goes to Cisco switches; Sorry, we don't support that use...."

Anyway, I'm not a network expert, but at least I will try and help. If your 8300 has a netmask of 255.255.255.0 it can't communicate with the IDF switch which is on another subnet. The IDF switch needs to have an IP address on the same subnet as the 8300.

If the gateway is set to 10.205.172.1, what device has that address?

Some of our IT is outsourced. I really wished they could just take 5 minutes to look at the configuration, they could probably fix it in minutes.

In the Routing Tab, Gateway 10.205.172.1 is not connected to a device. Should the Gateway be the IDF's IP address 10.200.171.121 or the Core Switch 10.200.172.10?

Think of the gateway as where traffic is sent if it isn't local. Right now you are sending it to 10.205.172.1, which is non-existant.

In this case, you want to sent it to the IDF switch which should relay it to the core switch. But you need to have both the IDF switch and the 8300 on the same subnet for them to talk to each other. You want the IDF switch to have an IP address of 10.205.172.1 on your 8300-facing port. Remember these managed switch can have different IP address on different ports so that they can appear in several subnets.

The Cisco 3560 is a level 3 switch which should be able to handle the routing between the core switch and the 8300 once you get the gateway configured properly.

I suppose you could also change the IP address of the 8300 to something in the same subnet as the IDF switch, but then I think you would need to enable routing on the 8300.

Sorry, I'm not the best at this network stuff. I've fumbled my way through some set up but I'm no expert.

So your IT people are idiots. Anything that connects to their network is their responsibility. You can also explain to them that the switch runs Cisco IOS so they can indeed talk to it and manage it for you.

I noticed that the Stratix Gi1/1 interface appears to be set for Access mode instead of Trunk. Since that is a switch to switch connection it should be configured as a Trunk. The 3560 interface is likely expecting a trunked connection.

The graphic where you are showing the Port Settings for Gi1/1 change the Administrative Mode and after it has been changed, note the status of the port on that same screen. Right now it is showing gray instead of green. See if that goes to green.

OG

If all of your devices are on the same subnet (which it appears that they are), you shouldn't have any need to configure a VLAN on your Stratix. If your G1/1 is not set to a trunk mode (trunk mode means that it is aware of VLANs), then it is just another switch port. In that case, it will become part of VLAN205 simply because the port it is plugged into on the business core switch is VLAN205. Your Stratix will just not be aware that it is VLAN205.

If your intention is to do inter-vlan routing with the stratix, then you will need to make your G1/1 port a trunk port (802.1Q) and the corresponding port on the business switch needs to be the same. I'd leave my Stratix unaware of the VLAN it is on and let IT do any routing between VLANs if I were in your shoes.

Can you ping either the IDF or Core switch from the Stratix directly?

Also, If you are comfortable with IOS, try running
show cdp neighbors
from the Stratix cmd prompt w/ elevated privs.

Also, your switch mgmt IP is on VLAN 1 and a totally different subnet, the external switches have no idea how to get to that IP/Vlan. You'll need to setup some form of routing in the Stratix if you want to manage the switch on that IP.

You could also also create a virtual interface on VLAN 205 and assign the Stratix an IP there, and manage through that one externally if memory serves.