You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 3rd, 2021, 09:46 PM   #1
twilliams
United States

Earth MSG Read SLC -> 5069 L320

Hello. I have a new 5069 L320ER that I installed and I am trying to read and write data to an existing SLC5/05 via Ethernet.

They are both on the same network. I am attempting to use port A1 on the Compactlogix. I set the type as SLC typed Read, and the address as 3, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx is the ip to the SLC5/05.. It goes to connection failed immediately. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance!
Old April 4th, 2021, 01:25 AM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Is the SLC-5/05 more than about 20 years old ?

Early revisions didn't support the CIP protocol that ControlLogix does.

One quick way to find out is to use the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic instead of the older Ethernet Devices driver. If the SLC shows up, then it's new enough to support CIP.
Old April 4th, 2021, 03:35 AM   #3
twilliams
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
Is the SLC-5/05 more than about 20 years old ?

Early revisions didn't support the CIP protocol that ControlLogix does.

One quick way to find out is to use the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic instead of the older Ethernet Devices driver. If the SLC shows up, then it's new enough to support CIP.
After a bit of trying, I can't seem to get anything on EtherNet/IP in RSLinx. It does not seem to like to cross subnets.

I have it working with another SLC5/05, and some PLC 5s but for whatever reason I cannot directly communicate between these two. I was able to read the SLC5/05 with an old PLC5 40E, then read the PLC5 from the new Contrologix. I don't understand why I cannot talk directly to the SLC.

Even when reading the SLC from the PLC5, I had to use a PLC5 typed read.
Old April 7th, 2021, 01:14 PM   #4
twilliams
United States

Thank you for your help. After diving in further and trying many things including messaging to and from other SLC5/05s and trying from another ControlLogx, it appears this is an old SLC that cannot communicate via modern CIP message standards.

I was able to work around this issue using a temp fix by message read and write from a PLC5 40E, and then to my new CompactLogix.
Old April 7th, 2021, 03:33 PM   #5
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Thanks for the update !

I slacked off a little on you by only describing the RSLinx driver method for figuring out the communications ability of an old SLC-5/05.

Because I'm familiar with the controllers, I would have looked at the Device Properties in RSLinx and looked for an "Firmware Revision Number" of FRN5 or higher. Similar information can be seen in the embedded Web pages for the controllers and in the Controller section of RSLogix 500.

The other confirming method is to test the controller's ability to open a TCP socket on a specific port. I use TCPing because I've been using it for ages and it always gives me the correct result. 20-year-old SLC-5/05's without CIP support only open a TCP connection on Port 2222, while "modern" SLCs will open a connection on both 2222 and 44818.

Code:
tcping [ip address] 2222       Legacy A-B Client-Server protocol
tcping [ip address] 44818      CIP protocol over EtherNet/IP
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum