Prosoft 3150-MCM and woodward

jolio ST

Hello Guys.

I have a Prosoft 3150-MCM connected to a woodward MFR-15.

I got the MODBUS address from the supplier of woodward. The faults

I need to read from the MFR are as follow:

Engine active power - 40015
Engine reactive power - 40016
Earth fault - 40025:07
Over frequency - 40025:08
Over voltage - 40025:09
Loss of excitation -40025:10

I actually need an understanding on the RSLogix 500 program, how should I program to have the 3150-mcm read the modbus address from the woodward MFR? I only need an example of how the read command is done between the two device to give me a kick start.
Anyone here who has experience with this MFR and the modbus module to show me an example???

Thanks in advance!🍻

regards
Sherine T.

Additional notes:
While I'm pondering on this, I also wonder if anyone who is familiar with WAGO PRO 32, as I am also having the same problem with the woodward MFR-15 to communicate with the WAGO PLC as I do not know how to program out the modbus function. This two projects are driving me bad, with just the MFR and the modbus communications. I really need someone to guide me out. Thanks!

Last edited:
Go to the Prosoft site and grab all the 'downloads' on the right. While their User Manual (at least the one I have) leaned more to PLC5 type commands the Examples go straight to the SLC-500. Copy the ladder examples EXACTLY then modify from there. It's a steep learning curve. It's definately not one nice command.

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/691

Attached is a VERY cut down .RSS SLC500 file for an interface between a 3150-MCM and Woodward EGCP-1's.

There are two MCM modules in this system. The one in Slot 7 is the one with the EGCP's attached to it. It isn't all that easy to follow, in fact I wrote it five years ago and frankly I barely recall now how it works, but if you have any questions Yahoo me.

Thank you Bernie and Philip. I will take a good look at your reckons.
If I have more queries on the interfacing I'll ask.:nodi:

The address being 40015, does it mean it's the transmission code 400 and send data is word 15?

regards
Sherine T.

I would suggest you get on to the Modbus site www.modbus.com where there is a host of information. Address 40015 is a word address number. 40025.07 is a bit address number. You will need to set up your communications to read the word address and the bit address separately as they are different types of address.

Here are some address types for Modbus
01 Read 1b Read 1 bit

02 Read 1b Read 1 bit

03 Read nW Read n words

04 Read nW Read n words

05 Write 1b Write 1 bit

05 Write to N Write 1bit to N slaves

06 Write 1W Write 1 word

06 Write to N Write 1 word to N slaves

10 Write nW Write n words

10 Writ to N Write n words to N slaves

This is taken directly from the Omron Modbus protocol manual used for very simply setting up Modbus read/write with Omron CX-Protocol but may help.

For example, some devices have type 03 and 04 words available while others only have type 04 words. If my memory serves me correctly, type 03 is an input word and type 04 is an output word. Hence addresses 30*** and/or 40***.

Not for the faint hearted in most PLCs. I can remember writing the Modbus protocol read/write in line basic in a co-processor module some years ago. Horrible!!! CX-Protocol makes life really easy for serial communications.

Writing in line basic and then getting it right drove me nuts. When I had to do the same thing with GE 90-30 PLCs, I spent the extra money and bought the Horner co-processor module to save having to go through all the nonsense again. With GE, you then have to write heaps of code to send and receive information. A real pain in the a***.

Siemens also have a module available but you do not want to know about the price. WOW!!!!

Good luck. Hopefully someone here will have been there, done that and be able to help you further.

Here is a help file from an older Omron protocol for the older co-processor cards that may be of help. It defines the address types etc.

Last edited: