I know I need to use switches, but...

I have an MP277 and an S7-317 2PN/DP

I made a cross cable

Setting of the PN I/O in the hardware config:

In my PC I used 192.168.0.2.

No connection with it...

The Link led on the cpu is illuminated

How comes that this does not work ?

I believe u don't need a cross cable with the Siemens CPU's.
Also PG/OP connections on the S7-317 2 PN/DP are only possible from Firmware version 2.3 and higher.

Confusing.
You have three IP adresses. PC, S7-317 and MP277.
You dont write which connection that does not work.
With three ethernet partners, how did you plan to connect all three ?

Try to insert a switch 1st. Connect everything and ping 317 and MP277.
If that does not fix it, then something is wrong with your cable.

hey

It's a EH13 (so it's a version 2.3)

It works, did some dumb things :oops:

I did things like ipconfig /renew and so on, while I used static IP adresses. There is no DHCP server so why doing such dumb things ? I know :)

SO the thing is, the connection was good, when I did pings, I got reply's, so it's all good. I now inserted a PG/PC in my project, assigned the PC to the network where I only have a CPU to connect to at this moment.

My test was between a profinet cpu and a PC.

Later I will connect an MP277 and a CPU together, not my PC; but I'm thinking to buy a swicth because, going online on ethernet is so much fun to go online, ultrafast.

SOrry for my bad explanation when I opened this topic Jesper,

Kind Regards,

Gerry

Jeebs said:
I believe u don't need a cross cable with the Siemens CPU's.
Also PG/OP connections on the S7-317 2 PN/DP are only possible from Firmware version 2.3 and higher.

Ethernet is definately the way to go if at all possible. For added ease of use try configuring a wireless connection between your laptop and the PLC; you can then walk around the machinery with your laptop still connected to the PLC. Commissioning larges chunks of machinery becomes much easier when your standing next to it.

Nick

Manglemender said:
Ethernet is definately the way to go if at all possible. For added ease of use try configuring a wireless connection between your laptop and the PLC; you can then walk around the machinery with your laptop still connected to the PLC. Commissioning larges chunks of machinery becomes much easier when your standing next to it.
Nick
I am interested in this. How do you setup the wireless router and STEP7 ?
My router at home is setup to assign IP adresses automatically.
I guess that you have to have fixed IPs.

I use a spare wireless router that we have in the office. I set the router to give out IP addresses in the same network as the PLC so in your case, 192.168.0.50 - 60 for example. Connect the ethernet side of the router into the switch on the machine, connect your laptop to the wireless router with DHCP and it gives you an address on the same network as your PLC. So long as you don't go out of range of the wireless router then you can stay connected.

I should say that I only use this for commissioning as I haven't yet found the need for a wireless router as part of a project.

Nick

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
I am interested in this. How do you setup the wireless router and STEP7 ?
My router at home is setup to assign IP adresses automatically.
I guess that you have to have fixed IPs.

This maybe? Scalance W series for IWLAN...:D

And I really hate to see home equipment used in industrial environments...:D (lovely to see a dustcovered laptop..:p)

Nah. I am just thinking about a small (as small as possible) wireless router that I can have in my bag of tools. Only to be used when I am onsite. It is not for a permanent installation. If that was the case I would definitely install an industrial router.

Nick, do you use the "use router" setting in STEP7 ?
Do you have to use port forwarding ?

I've never used the "Use Router" setting. I think that comes into play only if your programmer is on a different network to your PLC. Because everything is on the same network, you don't need to specify a route.

Nick

Jesper, I do the same thing, and keep a cheap Linksys wireless router in my bag. I use static IP address for my PLC and laptop, but never had to do anything with the router. It just works.

It really helped me a lot recently on a site where there were no ethernet cards at all. I just connected my ethernet-mpi adapter to my Linksys, and I was fully mobile.

Thanks, I will get me a wireless router then.
Incredibly, you can get a wireles router for approximately the same price as Siemens wants for one of their profibus connectors with a PG socket.

And pardon me for the tangent.