Softlogix 5800 DeviceNET Issues

bone

In a nutshell:

I've got a 1784-PCIDS scanner in an industrial 'puter that can see all nodes via RSLinx. I'm able to set up scan lists via RSNetworx, upload parameters from slave devices through RSNetWorx, and browse all connected nodes through RSLinx (2.52). However, when I download a program to SoftLogix 5800 (A30 - 5 slot chassis), and run the loaded program, all is fine................. Until I set the DeviceNET scanner (PCIDS) command bit to 'RUN'; after the command is issued, the SoftLogix Monitor shows a BIG RED 'X' through the 1784-PCIDS. This only occurs on a 0 to 1 transition of the output register 'RUN' command. After that, I have to remove the 5800 module from the virtual backplane, then stop the PCIDS service in task manager before I can re-establish any comms to the PCIDS. Anyone else experienced this???? AB TechConnect seems to be stumped. My next recourse is to try:

1: Different PCI slot
2: Different Computer
3: Different wall to bang my head against...........

I was on tech support for > 4 hours today..........

1784-PCIDS is the most common SoftLogix interface to I/O, so this is not an exotic or configuration, even though it is less popular than 1756-DNB and ControlLogix.

I'll ask you the same general set of questions that Tech Support probably already did: What brand and model of computer, what CPU/RAM specs, what operating system revision.

What's the firmware version of the 1784-PCIDS, what version of SoftLogix 5800, what version of the IOLINX driver for the -PCIDS ?

Since you can browse the network, I'll assume your PCI slot is capable of supporting the Universal PCI power standard that the 1784-PCIDS/B uses.

What is connected to the DeviceNet network ? Have you verified that you have a good installation with proper termination ?

Check the Input data table to see if you are getting field DeviceNet data into the SoftLogix even in Idle mode (you should be). Are the I/O connections in an Established state, according to the -PCIDS Status table in RSLogix 5000 ?

It would be very interesting to see the traffic on the DeviceNet when the fault occurs, but for that you would need a 1784-PCD and DNet Traffic Analyzer (or a comparable analyzer).

Hating to let an issue hanging..............

Turns out that my original issue was due to the fact that Microsoft IE7 was installed on the computer, and THAT was wreaking havoc on the issue at hand. Turns out that IE7 doesn't play nice with RSLinx. It was only by random conversation (TechConnect guy casually asked, while waiting for the DeviceNet team to pick up on a 3-way call, what version of Explorer was installed................), that it was determined that Microsoft has again single-handedly destroyed a perfectly operable program. My local vendor, who supplied me with all of my current hardware, finally got a chance (and,I believe succeeded) to have a knowledgebase issue posted in his favor. Hopefully, this issue (and concurrent resolution to remove ALL traces of IE7 in favor of IE6) will help any further problems with subsequent users.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I've been pulling 60-80 hour weeks the last 5 weeks. Hope this helps in the future!