SLC 500 to Panelview 1000e

Jody alford

I have a panelview 1000e that I'm trying to connect to a SLC 5/04.I'm using DH+ for the communications to the Panelview with rs232 going between my desktop to the SLC 5/04. I'm using ri/o pasthuru to be able to program the Panelview. I can see the panelview in rslinx but when I bring panelbuilder up I get a message saying "Pcccsts10, illegal command or format, including odd address." Can anyone help me please. I would like to reconfigure this for my uses.

Let's straighten out which ports and protocols are really in use.
A-B has two protocols that run on identical wires (Belden 9463 twinaxial cable, commonly called "Blue Hose") but perform different functions.

Data Highway Plus (DH+) is a peer-to-peer messaging network that is used by controllers, HMIs, and programming software tools.

Allen-Bradley Universal Remote I/O (RIO) is an I/O scanning protocol used by scanner modules and I/O racks.

The SLC-5/04 controller has a Data Highway Plus port on the front of it. But you can also add a RIO scanner (1747-SN) module to the SLC chassis.

"RIO Passthrough" is what you'd use to connect to a RIO-connected PanelView terminal.

"DH+ Passthrough" involves passing messages from the DF1 serial port to the DH+ network port on an SLC-5/04.

Because you can "see the PanelView in RSLinx", I think you have the DH+ Passthrough configured correctly and can browse from the DF1 port through the SLC-5/04 onto the DH+ network.

Now, you have to describe *precisely* how you have configured communications in PanelBuilder 1400e software. Screenshots are best.

Screen shots

Ok this is how I set up Panelbuilder so that I can get the original file from the panel.
PanelBuilder.jpg

and this is what I get in rslinx.

Rslinx1.jpg

I forgot to add this photo to the set.
PanelBuilder2.jpg

I'm just hoping to be able to get to where I can talk to it and get the info I need so that I can change it and I found out that the RS 232 port is set up as a Printer port and I can't get it changed until I get in to the original file. I configured the communications on the Panelview 1000e throught the touch screen for Network direct and the baud rate is 57.6 k same as the DH+ port on the SLC 5/04. The terminal Network Address is set to 2

Last edited:
Time to disambiguate

The first and second screenshots of the RSWho windows show the "PV1400E" as well as the SLC-5/04, indicating that the PanelView 1000e or 1400e terminal is connected to Data Highway Plus (DH+).

This also shows that you are physically connected to the SLC's DF1 port and browsing through the SLC to the DH+ network, which is called "DF1 -> DH+ Passthrough".

The third screenshot appears to be from PanelBuilder32 software, which is for "Standard PanelView" terminals. To work on a PanelView 1400e or 1000e terminal, aka "Enhanced PanelView" terminals, you need a software package called "PanelBuilder 1400e".

That screenshot also shows you attempting to set up "RIO Passthrough". If this were a PanelView Standard terminal and it were connected to a 1747-SN RIO scanner, you would select the SLC in RSLinx, then select the scanner's slot, and the PanelView's RIO network address.

So, this upload isn't working because you are using the incorrect software and configuring it for the incorrect network.

PanelBuilder 1400e can be a little complicated to install on modern operating systems; if you have an old Win98SE laptop to install it on it might be best.

Software

Well I need to know where I might be able to find a copy of the Panelbuilder 1400e software. you see I really can't afford to call Allen Bradley for the software and I have searched for it but have not turned up any results.

also I need to note I'm working on this as a home project for myself. I aquired the items from an old job as they was just going to throw them out and I was wanting to learn something new. I'm just looking for a way to try and set it up as a home automation system and to just play around with it for a bit.