Micrologix 1500 LRP MSG READ from Compactlogix

asmaint2

Supporting Member
I am trying to set up a MSG read in a Micrologix 1500 LRP series C to read data from a Compactlogix L32E via a NET ENI series D. I have successfully completed a read and write using the instructions in the Compactlogix but I would like to learn how to do it from the Micrologix. I understand that is makes troubleshooting easier if you use reads instead of writes.

The ENI is connected to Channel 1 of the Micrologix. Table 45 in the ENI has the IP of the Compactlogix assigned to it. I have an L file set up in the micrologix to store the data it will receive. I have mapped a tag in the compactlogix, that I want read, to file 10 using the Map PLC/SLC Message tool. I am attaching a screen shot of my message setup in the Micrologix. I think my biggest question is what to enter as the target device's data table address, since I can't enter a tag name. I have read through the Compactlogix and Micrologix programming manuals and several technotes but I am still confused. All of this is just to teach myself how as it may get utilized in future projects.

thanks,

MLX1500READ_CPLX.JPG

Update- I was able to complete the MSG read over the weekend. I am attaching a screen shot of my working message setup and the logic in the micrologix. The answer to my question concerning the data table address was you just have to use same file number as the number you map your tag to in the compactlogix, and make sure the file types correlate. I used a DINT in the compactlogix and an L in the micrologix, you could also use an INT and N, Boolean and a B, and so on.

My other issue was my logic in the micrologix to run message routine. It was confusing me because when nothing was happening the message instruction would just sit there enabled, it wouldn't go done until there information it was reading in the compactlogix changed.

MLX1500READ_CPLX.JPG MLX1500READ_CPLX_routine.jpg