RSLogix5000 v20 - Update problem

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have been using RSLogix5000 v19, for about a year with no problems.

I have now tried installing the latest update (v20), and now it won't run. Instead I get a fatal error:

Log Extract:
===============================================================================
Wed Jun 06 10:26:24 2012

Fatal Error!
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v20\Bin\RS5000.Exe
Elapsed execution time: 17 seconds
Version: V20.00.00 (Release)
Source File: unknown
Line Number: -1
Function/Method: unknown
OS Version: Windows XP 32-bit (Service Pack 3 - Build 2600)
Thread Id: 00001314 (4884)
Error 0xc0000005 (-1073741819)
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION - An "access violation" exception was generated.
No project file is currently open.

I can only get RSLogix5000 to work again, by uninstalling the v20 update. However I am left with aftereffect that everytime I boot up my laptop, I get an RS Enterprise error message.
o_Oo_O

Can anyone help??, or suggest something???

As an additional problem, it looks like my "RSView Studio NE" software has also been disabled by the failed RSLogix5000 update.

🔨🔨o_Oo_O🔨🔨

I am afraid, I still haven't found answer to "RSView Studio ME" problem.

And regarding the RSLogix5000 v.19/v.20 problem, I gave up, and got a new laptop, which installed both v.19 & v.20 without a hitch.

I haven't even attempted to install "RSView Studio ME" on my replacement laptop, in fear that it will foul things up.

I kinda don't have that option still new installation is coming up with CLx V20 firmware.

I don't have access to their forums or their knowledge base. It sucks.

In case it helps someone else as well (it helped me). Response from email support:

This is in response to your Rockwell Automation technical support inquiry regarding RSLogix 5000 software.
Please delete ".rnl" file under
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation (for Windows XP)
C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation (for Windows Vista or Windows 7)
Reboot computer

If you have still the same issue please
From the local computer, click Start --> Programs --> Rockwell Software --> FactoryTalk Tools --> FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard
Select "network", and give a Windows Admin User credentials
After this the RSLogix 5000 v20.00 software should start without error.

You can also try to repair FACTORYTALK SERVICES PLATFORM.

I only needed to get rid of rnl file and it started ok afterwards.

Last edited:
i can find file *.rnl inside C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation (for Windows Vista or Windows 7) i used win 7 pro 64bit. and follow From the local computer, click Start --> Programs --> Rockwell Software --> FactoryTalk Tools --> FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard
Select "network", and give a Windows Admin User credentials. my laptop send " access denied

My answer isn't going to help you with what you have already done, but potentially could help you avoid this in the future.

Install these in a VM. Backup/Snapshot the VM prior to any updates. In your situation, you could have simply restored the VM after the v20 update error and been off and running. I guarantee the time you have already spent now far exceeds the cost of the software to implement VMs.

Especially with FT View/ RS View, this piece of software is just too rife with installation problems to risk having it muddle up your host OS.

I know you said you already have a new laptop. It is not too late to start yourself down this path. Especially with RSView.

The root cause of all this is Microsoft don't feel inclined to make Windows backward compatible ... It's only software, as VMWare clearly shows it to be.....

Analogy : I buy a new car, but it won't let me make the same journeys I used to. Something to do with atmospheric pressure, altitude, temperature, wind direction, magnetic fields, moon phases, or whatever. So my car dealer says I need to install another engine in the boot (trunk, to you guys over the pond) to go to my gym, and yet another engine to pick the kids up from school. These engines are made by someone else, and it's gonna cost me....

Or I can ask my Gym and the kids' school to relocate to allow my car to go there.

The root cause of all this is Microsoft don't feel inclined to make Windows backward compatible ... It's only software, as VMWare clearly shows it to be.....

Analogy : I buy a new car, but it won't let me make the same journeys I used to. Something to do with atmospheric pressure, altitude, temperature, wind direction, magnetic fields, moon phases, or whatever. So my car dealer says I need to install another engine in the boot (trunk, to you guys over the pond) to go to my gym, and yet another engine to pick the kids up from school. These engines are made by someone else, and it's gonna cost me....

Or I can ask my Gym and the kids' school to relocate to allow my car to go there.

Microsoft I am sure deserves a lot of the blame. That said as much as we all complain about windows, it has served many of us well over the past 20+ years. It is no small task to have a company that relies on the sale of an OS, to have to juggle making things new and fresh enough to make the changes worth purchasing, having to maintain some level of compatibility to the past regardless of how amazingly fast technology changes (16bit, 32bit, 64 bit) (single core, multi-core), (serial, USB, firewire, wifi, Bluetooth) (VGA,HDMI), (Networking, , , , , , , ) and keeping with the times in regards to how it is used (PC, laptops, tablets, Phones, TVs, etc).

I think though that Rockwell needs to shoulder much of the blame as well, and this is my reasoning.

1) Many other pieces of software written by other manufacturers that do practically the same thing, but don't have near the same issues.

2) Writing the software such that it utilizes features of the OS that are likely to change or be unstable. (I wrote programs back in the 90s that still run fine now on Win7, they still work because they only used the most basic features of the OS)

FactoryTalk/RSView were developed to be way to sensitive to the host. They are far too intertwined into Microsoft's security features. I have always said if they spent half the time they do on the activation software as they did on fixing the issues with the HMI software they would have a much better product.

All that being said, VMs allow us to maintain clusters of stability and time machines that allow us to work in the past when we need to while the future can forge ahead.

Just to pile on here with other's sentiment, and I like AB products and it's my choice for large integration projects, but Rockwell Software, especially their Factory Talk Suite is the biggest craptastic piece of **** software ever to become accepted in mainstream use. I cringe whenever a customer requests that we use SE for HMI vs Wonderware, and I immediately double my design costs. It's just that buggy, doesn't have near the features of other HMI packages, and is temperamental as hell. Customer's continue to want it ONLY because it's Rockwell, and ONLY because they don't have to deal with rollout of the product. Those customers that actually have to use it, have quickly switched to Wonderware and others.

sorry i can not find .rnl inside C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation (for Windows Vista or Windows 7) i used win 7 pro 64bit
The reason you cant see the files using windows 7 is because they are hidden by default. Follow these procedures to unhide them.

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Thanks,
Juan