S7-300 First Ethernet Connection

minerman

Hello,

First time siemens user here. How do I connect to my new S7-300 plc for the first time via ethernet?

Right now I have a setup:

|Computer|<------->|Switch|<------->|CPU 315-2PN/DP|

I have no idea where to get started. The only thing I've tried is setting an IP address from NetPro in the PN-IO properties and it did not work.

edit: I just found where to edit the ethernet node based on the mac address (Simatic Manager -> PLC Menu -> Edit Ethernet Node. My problem now is that I can't browse for a MAC address. It gives me the error: "A network problem has occurred. Please check the networking of the network adapter you selected as the online interface and repeat the action." I'm not sure where you set this. My PC does have 2 network adapters installed, so maybe this is why the problem is occurring.

edit 2: I just figured out that I had to add my desktop computer to the hardware netpro config. I was able to successfully change the IP address of the controller. However, I am unable to make a download. I get (13:4337) "Unable to establish a connection to the module CPU315-2 PN/DP(1) (R0/S2) in the station SIMATIC 300 station.

Also, I have just pulled the CPU from the rest of my IO so that I can sit it on my desk. Obviously, I wont be able to use any IO, but will this be a problem? I just want to download to it and set up my comms to my HMI.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Even if the IO is not attached to the CPU, you can download to it. Obviously it will give you an SF when you try to go to run.

After you have set the IP on the CPU, can you ping it ?
You have an MMC card in the CPU ?

Even if the IO is not attached to the CPU, you can download to it. Obviously it will give you an SF when you try to go to run.

After you have set the IP on the CPU, can you ping it ?
You have an MMC card in the CPU ?

Yes, I have set the IP address and I can ping it.

I do not see a place to put an MMC card on this CPU. The selector switch is on RUN right now. Should I have it on STOP? Or does this matter?

How is you PG interface configured?
In Simatic Manager, Options menu, Set PG interface.
It should be set to TCPIP using the correct NIC.

Next, Have you downloaded the HW configuration to the CPU?

It should not be necessary to setup anything in NetPro or a PG/PC Station. This is normaly only required if you need to access the CPU via routing.
It should be enough that PC and S7 CPU have IP adresses that are in the same subnet. And the PG/PC interface must be set correctly.
Check that you have selected the4 correct PG/PC Interface. Must be set to TCP/IP, not ISO !

It looks as if there is an MMC card in the slot in the CPU. Just above the small "PUSH" lever. But is it big enough ?

Try to do a download of the HW Configuration. Since the IP is set correctly, you dont have to scan for the MAC address. See if that clears up the problems with going online.

How is you PG interface configured?
In Simatic Manager, Options menu, Set PG interface.
It should be set to TCPIP using the correct NIC.

Next, Have you downloaded the HW configuration to the CPU?

I have the correct NIC selected, but it does give three different options that I'm confused about. It defaults to ISO.1. Should I be choosing something else?

Here are screenshots that should answer your above questions:

http://imgur.com/a/F6iTh#0

Thanks for your help!

Maybe has to do with you messing things up in NetPro.

Clear any connections you have defined in NetPro.
Delete the PG/PC (probably confuses more than helps).
Generate the HW Config again and download the HW config again.

Maybe has to do with you messing things up in NetPro.

Clear any connections you have defined in NetPro.
Delete the PG/PC (probably confuses more than helps).
Generate the HW Config again and download the HW config again.

Ummm... I don't know what just happened, but please tell me that I did not just delete my entire project. I deleted everything out of NetPro and saved. Now, I see nothing in Simatic Manager. :cry:

I said delete the PG/PC, not the S7.

Did you have any code that you havent saved ?
Did you backup the project before ? That is what archive/retrieve is for.

If there was no code, then dont worry. Setting up a new project with a new HW config does not take so long.

I said delete the PG/PC, not the S7.

Did you have any code that you havent saved ?
Did you backup the project before ? That is what archive/retrieve is for.

If there was no code, then dont worry. Setting up a new project with a new HW config does not take so long.

I misread. Can I upload from my controller that I just downloaded to? Unfortunately there is a ton of code that I don't have backed up... Several weeks worth. This could be bad...

If you have managed to download the code to the PLC, then you can upload to STEP7. But, there will be no comments or symbols !

Dont tell me you have worked for weeks and not done any backups.