Warning about Standard PanelViews and ControlLogix 80 series processors

cbanzet

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just wanted to warn everyone that, according to Rockwell, standard PanelViews, 2711-WXYZ, can't communicate to an 80 series ControlLogix processor using unscheduled ControlNet messaging.

I learned this the hard ward when I recently upgraded an L75v30 processor to a L85Ev31 processor. My three PanelViews were not able to communicate with the new processor. I called Rockwell Tech Support on this and she confirmed that standard PanelViews can't communicate to 80 series processors.

This is of course infuriating as the comms setup inside the PanelView only allows you to select a few processor types and "Logix" is one. This development implies that Rockwell doesn't consider the 80 series to be a "logix" processor.

I had to make a work around to make my project work again. I'm betting that scheduled ControlNet communications would have still worked, but that would have involved more PLC code changes than I wanted to mess with.

Ironically, my work around was to point the PanelView at a different L75v30 processor with the same tags in it and when the PanelView changes a tag, that processor sends an UNCONNECTED, UNSCHEDULED message over the same ControlNet to the L85E, which works fine.

Last edited:
You're welcome.

For some reason I'm unable to edit my original post.

I'd like to correct
I learned this the hard ward
and I'd like to say something about ControlNet in the title so as not to imply that all comms between a PanelView and an 80 series ControlLogix are now defunct.

As I think about it though, my hunch is that all unscheduled comms are now broken but scheduled comms will still work.

If anyone has a chance to investigate this further, I'd love to know the results. I'm curious how DH+, Ethernet and DeviceNet PanelViews will fare with the 80 series processors.