ASCII for Micrologix 1500

Leon Schon

Could someone show me a couple of sample rungs of logic for ASCII? And how it is edited? I am totally new to this format. Why don't the ASCII functions highlight like the others, such as timer etc.?

Thanks guys,

Example

Click on timer then click on TON. TON is highlighted in the menu and I can insert it in a rung. I see nothing in ASCII to insert. So I do not know how to start. The 31 pages I downloaded on ASCII do not help me either. I know I am stupid but being confused at the same time is tough. Some type of a simple example would really help. I just need to know how to get started.

Thanks

Well, there are several things to watch for.
If the ASCII instructions are grayed out it is probably
because you selected wrong CPU. LRP with version A firmware
didn't have those intstructions.

arl.gif

Now we are getting somewhere.

I do have a 1764LSP processor which says it is series "C" that should support ASCII. I also just upgraded RSLINX to the latest version at a cost of $ 400.00. Everything else in the 1500 seems to work fine, I added 2 - 16 Input cards that work fine along with other items. I did notice that there was an upgrade in the processors is the reason I purchased the new software. But every time I click on one of the two ASCII instructions in the tool bar the related command items are all grayed out and do not work.

I must be doing something wrong in the configuration. The new RSLINK is version 2.41.

Any ideas here?

I would like to help more but it is rather difficult to guess.
Message you send or receive contains sequence of bits that you
store somewhere in PLC memory. When you receive stuff, it is
first stored in buffer internaly. Then you read it using some
instruction like ARL. To clear buffer use ACL etc.

Leon,

Make sure that you have 1764-1500 LSR C selected in the controller properties on the left-hand side of the window in RSLogix 500.

Bob

Instead of starting a new thread i'd like to ask a follow up question to the above.

I have an AB 1500 LRP C and i have it sending 1 string and receiving 1.
my received string "123456789" sometimes comes across like "567891234"

Is there a way i can get it to check? and

At the moment i have them the ARL and the AWL being enabled off the other .DN bit. so that only one of these tries to operate at one time. Is there a better way to run these instructions?