New Annunciator - which way to go

mapman88

Hi,
we have been upgrading our plant - AB Logix 5000 controllers. We installed an AB 5561 controller and rack as a new alarm system, where we take in alarms, both hardwire and produced tags over the plant network. So I guess the question is, how best to go from our Control Logix "alarm plc" to audio in on the PA system? We have an older digi-talker we want to replace with something newer.

thanks in advance...

Additional.... we built an annunciator screen in Wonderware, and display it on an HMI in the control room, so we just need to get our alarms to audibiliize on the PA system. Our plant network is ethernet.

Look at this thread... http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=24796

I have done it with the Viking's, I just used a contact closure to dail up our PA system, works great

MainNotifier.jpg

It looks like you used two K-2000 viking units? each good for 8 inputs? I think I want the capability of inputting my unit via ethernet..., but these units look o.k.

mapman88 said:
...I think I want the capability of inputting my unit via ethernet.

See the blue (EDIT:Black) wire on the PLC... thats the Ethernet ;) (just kidding)

The PLC here is a DL06 its the main, I have 8 others in the plant that communicate back and forth to each other via the Ethernet, they are cheap enough that I could justify having one as the interface to the Viking and yes they are K-2000's, they may have one thats Ethernet ready?

I also have an RSView32 that is logging and displaying the values

Last edited:
Thanks Git,

So your alarm inputs to your DL06 (Viking interface) come over ethernet, and your outputs to the Viking are your only hardwire in the DL06. IOW, no hardwire alarm inputs? I say inputs, you may have some analogs? I have only digital inputs for alarms.

I use a viking to call my cell phone when I get an alarm, and it works great.

saves a lot of downtime and I can be busy and not have to watch the system so closely

works great

Clint

mapman88 said:
Thanks Git,

So your alarm inputs to your DL06 (Viking interface) come over ethernet, and your outputs to the Viking are your only hardwire in the DL06. IOW, no hardwire alarm inputs? I say inputs, you may have some analogs? I have only digital inputs for alarms.

Yes all inputs come over Ethernet, this is in our phone room, no analog in, I have some ascii 485 and 232 outputs on the same system (Ethernet) but they are on other nodes (Berine helped with them also http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=28725&highlight=ascii+dl06 ), the only thing this PLC does is send outputs to the Viking's but they are very cheap PLC's :)