Data Aquisition for SLC5/03

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a program that is in place and running. Higher ups would like me to start aquiring and storing data. I have never done it before and don't even know where to begin. I would like to use something like MS Access to store it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good day all. I have a program that is in place and running. Higher ups would like me to start aquiring and storing data. I have never done it before and don't even know where to begin. I would like to use something like MS Access to store it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, there may be other ways now, but years ago I went to school on a system that used the 503 with an optional "Basic" Module. The engineer had written his queries in basic, they would iterate every so often based on a time constant, and the results were stored in the memory of the basic module. At the time there was a dial up modem for accessing and dumping the data into a spreadsheet type environment.

I know this isn't very instructional, but maybe it will give you a place to start.

Stationmaster

Look at Red Lion's Data Station...or if you happen to need a display look at their G3 series. It can do data logging to a compact flash card or render it on a web server.

Get a G3 then. And budget for ethernet too so you can FTP your data to a server where it can be easily accessed. The G3 is perfect at this, low cost, reliable, fast, powerful, free software too.

I installed a couple of these: http://www.vorne.com/xl/ at our plant. They are great for letting the plant floor know the production numbers. They have tons of different options on them, and they also run a webserver that will export detailed Excel sheets with more stats then anyone could ever ask for.

I have them connected to thier own wireless router, It made for a really easy network install as all the bosses use laptops with built-in wireless cards.

Last edited: