Has anybody done this in real life?

1MoCast

I am getting conflicting answers on this...
I would like to use a 1768-ENBT as a rack adaptor for a distributed rack of 1769 I/O. I searched the knowledgebase and found one saying the 1768-ENBT and the 1756-ENBT could handle this (not the EWEBs, though). I set the integrator down the path of replacing the 1769-ADN that was the only devicenet being used on the project.
The Distibutor told him it couldn't be done. Since they have been wrong before, I hooked up on a Live Chat session with Rockwell Automation. I asked him the same question, laid down the archetecture and he said it could be done... even gave particulars such as # od cards, distance to power supply, etc.
I copy pasted the transcript to the integrator and he said they found technotes saying the opposite. I dug a little deeper and found those also. o_O
Who do I believe... Rockwell Automation or Rockwell Automation? The one TechNote I don't want to believe was from 2007. I found other info about the increased capabilities of the 1768-ENBT... double the CIP connections and so on.
I don't want to try a $900 expirement... We don't have any L4x racks in the plant to recycle it on if it doesn't work. Has anyone from the real world try this?
I went down the 1769-ADN path years ago because of my boss's hatred of Flex I/O and it has treated us well. The 1769 I/O has faired well and our inventory is reduced as we use the same cards on all of the ML 1500's and Compact Logix.
Sorry so long winded.
Thanks

I can't answer your question. However, most Rockwell distributors have demo stuff. Have you asked your local distributor if you can use some demo hardware to run a test?

I have seen a control logic Enet rack and processor message another Enet in a distant rack to an I/o card without a processor.

I would say you can if you get the path right

Clint

I believe it depends on the processor. I am pretty sure (not 100%) you can't use it with a 1769-L23E for controlling EthernetIP I/O.

If you are using the L4x series processor, then I do believe you can use the add-on ethernet module for real I/O. I think that RSLogix5000 software will warn you if you try to do the impossible (provided your software is up to date).

Last edited:
Well, the distributer got with Rockwell and said it wouldn't work. I was so hoping the Rockwell Live Chat Guy was right but I guess those were made up facts! We tried to populate an I/O tree and RS5000 would not tolerate the ENBT card in slot 0.
It looks like either stick with DeviceNet or use a L35E as a remote rack adaptor.

A L32e is less expensive than a 35E. I would do a price point comparison with other EIP I/O points. I just did a job with Wago and it was nice and easy setup.

Well, the distributer got with Rockwell and said it wouldn't work. I was so hoping the Rockwell Live Chat Guy was right but I guess those were made up facts! We tried to populate an I/O tree and RS5000 would not tolerate the ENBT card in slot 0.
It looks like either stick with DeviceNet or use a L35E as a remote rack adaptor.

Pretty sure the processor-as-remote-adapter wont work. You can add a Compactlogix processor to the tree but its only there to resolve produced & consumed tags; it doesn't appear mapped in the Controller tags like I/O. I guess you could have a simple program in the remote processor that mapped produced-comsumed tags to real I/O (or some aliasing scheme might work).