allen bradley control logix 1769-L30ER for redundancy

syakir

hi, this is my first post in this forum,

i have two allen bradley 1769-L30ER and unfortunately I want to make it redundancy. but I heard that type does not support redundancy, so if I make the same thing as redundancy, what should I do? thank u

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

ControlLogix Redundancy is only supported by the full-size 1756 series controllers, and only in very specific combinations of hardware and firmware. Alfredo is correct that the 1756-RM is a "Redundancy Manager" module that is part of those systems.

There was a not-well-supported DeviceNet hot backup method for CompactLogix at one point, but I don't think it is supported any longer, and I'm very sure it doesn't support the far more popular EtherNet/IP I/O systems. There is no practical or supported way to take two of the very small 1769-L30ER controllers and "make them redundant".

The ControlLogix Redundancy System Manual is the best resource for learning about the details of ControlLogix Redundancy.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um535_-en-p.pdf

There was also a ControlLogix/CompactLogix based "software output switching" method that was developed and documented before ControlLogix Redundancy was available (fifteen or so years ago).

This is complex enough that it is provided only to customers who have been approved by their local Rockwell Automation field service and sales offices.

If you're doing a high-availability system without consulting with an RA field office, then the only supported option available is ControlLogix Redundancy.

You can try something like:
checking prod/cons status, if the first system is down, then uninhibit tasks of the second system.

checking prod/cons status, if the first system is down, then uninhibit tasks of the second system.

This was the basis of how the "software switching" worked.

But the current situation is very probably a customer who has purchased a far-too-small controller and is not familiar enough with the basics of Rockwell architecture to know they did so, and whose client has unrealistic expectations for performance and reliability.

I spent years answering "but why noooooot" questions in painful detail and I don't have to anymore, so I'm not going to.

The only way to get those tools is to be approved by your local Rockwell Automation field sales office.

They do not want to give them to inexperienced users. They do not want to give them to users who are mis-applying the controllers.

Hi Syakir

I have done something simuler with 2 1769-L35E not the AB way, but it works :)

I split the signals coming in, so both PLC's get the same data (both digital and serial)

Then I made the first output and the first input a part of the redundancy routine , the wirering will determine which PLC is master and slave.

If the PLC gets an input on address 0, then it is slave and the outputs are blocked, if I switch of PLC 1, PLC 2 will open up for the outputs, with out missing a beat.

Both PLC programs are identical, pretty nice when you need to test new routines.

/Holmux