Women in Controls and Automation

My daughter will be entering college soon. I had her talked into being a Civil Engineer. But she took a civie class in HS this year and hated it.

She's actually really good at coding with Java and Python and enjoys it. But I think the computer science and IT field is pretty crowded.

I personally would like to see her get into Automation and Controls. But I have never seen any women in this industry.

Is this a good industry for a woman to pursue? Would you recommend it to your daughter?

I have seen a few women in motion control. Java and Python are good skills but they are just tools used to solve problems. It is the ability to solve problems or create that is valuable.

BTW, I have programmed in many languages. Java has pi$$ed me off because my old hydraulic simulator doesn't work anymore due to the upgrade to JavaFX from swing.

I would look at Python 3.x and specifically Anaconda which is a combination of Python, Numpy, SciPy and a Python version of a Matlab graphing package. One top of that there are project oriented frame works for Python/Anaconda. One is called Jupyter.

I actually worked with a few Woman Controls Engineers over the years. Most were just as competent as any one else. The Men on the job seemed to respect them for their knowledge.

My advice would be if your Daughter is the type of person that can think a process through from beginning to end. Has some mechanical skills. She isn't afraid to get dirty and doesn't give up eazy she could be a great Controls Engineer. If any of my Daughters possessed those skills I would push them in that direction.

My advice would be if your Daughter is the type of person that can think a process through from beginning to end. Has some mechanical skills. She isn't afraid to get dirty and doesn't give up eazy she could be a great Controls Engineer. If any of my Daughters possessed those skills I would push them in that direction.

My opinion exactly. I don't know how much it differs from OZ to US, but over here it's definitely a male-dominated industry, and she'll have to be willing to get her hands dirty and prove herself over and over, more so than any man. Which is ridiculous and totally not the way that it should be, but I can only change myself, not other people.

I've worked with a couple of women in the industry - never closely, but in the vicinity, if you like - and they were both quite capable. They were also both perfectly happy to tell a man who insinuated anything inappropriate or ***ist exactly where they could f*** off to, which is probably one of the most vital skills you'd need as a female in the industry :whistle:

I employ 2 women. they are more enthusiastic than the men.
either way stop trying to sway your daughter and let her figure it out for herself. If she does what you push her to and it doesnt work out she will have negative feelings towards you. Let life leed her

I have worked with several woman at different system integrators and electrical distributors. In fact I meet my wife working at an SI. We have had our own SI for 21 years now. And she is the president. The first SI I worked at was also a husband and wife run company. She actually used to teach the PLC courses at AB. I love seeing woman in this profession. I never have liked the good ol boys clubs.

My opinion exactly. I don't know how much it differs from OZ to US, but over here it's definitely a male-dominated industry, and she'll have to be willing to get her hands dirty and prove herself over and over, more so than any man. Which is ridiculous and totally not the way that it should be, but I can only change myself, not other people.

I've worked with a couple of women in the industry - never closely, but in the vicinity, if you like - and they were both quite capable. They were also both perfectly happy to tell a man who insinuated anything inappropriate or ***ist exactly where they could f*** off to, which is probably one of the most vital skills you'd need as a female in the industry :whistle:
My experience in the US is much the same. I don't expect it to change in my lifetime, I hope will in your daughter's. I don't work with any women controls engineers, although there are several women on our engineering team (mechanical, optical, thermal).

They have to put up with more BS than the men. Because the nature of our work involves construction which is still heavily dominated by men, there are a number of men on the crew that just don't like women out there with them. I'm only concerned with someone's ability not their gender and I've been in male dominated careers throughout my working career (in the service as a US Marine, firefighter, and now electronic and controls engineer) but during that time I've seen the BS women have to deal with.

First, I agree that with ASF, your daughter will need to develop a tough skin. She will need confidence in herself because a significant number of men will look at her gender and decide she doesn't belong.

The IT professions seem to have more women and frankly getting away from construction and the factory floor helps because, well, there are still quite a few knuckle-draggers out there. I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade her from a career in programming/IT. While it may seem 'crowded' it is a much larger field.

Last edited:
I have worked with a number of women engineers over the years, all of them competent in what they do. The problem as others have stated is the knuckle draggers that do not have a clue.

Women are just as competent as men as engineers, sometimes better.

Worked with mechanical, chemical, process, civil, electrical, electricians, telemetry engineers, service engineers, even my boss (principal engineer) at an engineering consultancy (control/systems/telemetry) was a woman, who started her career as a technician. I have known and worked with a female controls engineer since the early 90s.

But, do not push her into anything. Suggestions, yes, talk to her, get others to talk to her. She has to be comfortable going forward, as unfortunately she will have to better than many others to prove her capabilities. Until other people change their way of thinking, that is how it is.

I work in a male-dominated manufacturing facility, where women are in the offices (IT/HR/stores etc), and when a woman applied to become a volvo shovel driver, the management had to scrabble about to decide on welfare facilities for the production area on the site - these are still limited more than a year later. But I reckon she does her job better than the other shift guys....

Seriously, though, if your daughter has a flair for and likes Controls and Automation or coding or whatever and would like to make it a career then she should get every encouragement to do so. Gender does not matter so much in the modern world, nor should it. I know it would be a problem in some cultures where the Male dominates, but she can pick and choose where she wants to work like us all. I would give her every encouragement.

It's rather sad that this question still has to be asked in 2016.
That being said. Known a few. I'd like to say the only difference is that the women had longer hair, but I've known a few guys with long hair as well.

Its not the question its the askers. If anyone thinks that any gender cant go to that or this trade just becouse the gender. (s)He is the real culprit of the problem.

Ofcourse there will be these old beards. But it wont change until new generations grow up without the taught prejudice on what genders can do or cant do.

Problem is that some people (wayyyy too many) only see the 50/50 end result as equality, when it has nothing to do with it.

/end rant

Don't push her. but support her in her decisions. Show her what automation/controls are. Let her do the decision.

I have seen a number of women in controls engineering type positions at factory based positions. I cant recall ever seeing one working in a field based job with an OEM.

Field based jobs will suck if she wants children. Its a little easier as a male to be field based with a family, but that is just because its more acceptable to others for the father to be away from the family most of the time. Its slightly easier to do a field based job if the majority of the travel is leave Monday, come back Friday. If the job is get on a plane to (Far away country in different time zone) tomorrow, then forget been able to have a family.

Factory based jobs might still suck with families, especially if the plant is falling apart or going through commissioning. Then again, some sites are a nice 9-5 and are easy to keep going.

I would recommend explaining the reality of the jobs, before she finds out too late what it looks like when something breaks. She can then decide if she wants to earn the money, or have the free time.

Darn I wish I had pursued a career in Software Development instead! The problem on the field of Automation, PLC & Controls is that you're very limited to the brand you are using and the industry you've worked in. If you apply for a job, companies are normally looking for specific knowledge and experience. Such a nighmare!