Still Need help With Excel!

asciichar

Hello,
I had a previous post regarding Excel and RSlinx not updating automatically. I am running Excel 2007 and Linx Classic on my PC. I have setup a hotlink by using the Copy/Paste function within RSLinx into Excel.

The problem is that the data in Excel only updates when I press my cursor on one of the empty cells in excel. Do I need any VBA code in excel to have the Link update automatically or should it do this by itself. I have the Excel part set to "automatically" calculate and the Poll rate in RSLinx is set to 1000ms.

Please help.

This isnt an answer to your post, but you shouldnt use multiple posts to ask the same questions. It upsets a lot of forum members who will then be reluctant to offer any help.

I wouldn't expect Excel to automatically update that value (but I haven't done this many years). I don't understand what you mean by "hav(ing) the Excel part set to "automatically" calculate". Is this anything more than having the cell set to "=DDE(RS...)"? You could certainly force an update with VBA. Be careful - this approach tends to be clunky at best.

asciichar said:
The problem is that the data in Excel only updates when I press my cursor on one of the empty cells in excel. Do I need any VBA code in excel to have the Link update automatically or should it do this by itself. I have the Excel part set to "automatically" calculate and the Poll rate in RSLinx is set to 1000ms.

I have a similiar setup and when I copy (and Paste special) the link, mine updates fine when ever an intiger changes it changes on the sheet.

Did you paste special?

Clint

I do this very often and it works fine. Is your formula like =RSLinx|TOPIC!TAG ? Where TOPIC is a Topic defined in the DDE section of RSLinx and the Tag is the PLC Tag (Logic platform) or address (PLC5/SLC/MicroLogix Platform).

Yes it is,
I have the same syntax that you wrote. I have one more thing to add though. Do you think it is not updating because I have multiple instances of this report running from various computers and the network is bogged down? Or perhaps the PLC's don't like having thier addresses looked at so frequently?

Thanks!

Check your excel Tools -> Options -> Calculation...
EDIT: After re-reading your post I see you have it set for automatic, but how about the remote references setting(s)?

(from excel 2003)
exceloptions.JPG

In Excel, when you go in Edit and then Links. Are your references set to Automatic as well? I don't know about the multiple instances but I think it's petty tolerant. It would'nt hurt to try only one in the beginning though.

May seem silly, but without seeing the spreadsheet I feel I must ask.

You say you "Pasted Special". Did you paste the formula or the value? If you click on the cell, what is in it? Is it a DDE formula?