Micrologix/SLC crashing while online

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am currently on a job site commissioning a bunch of 'old' new PLCs. In the past two days I have had two PLCs crash on me and have their respective memories wiped out and reverted back to the default configuration. The first was a ML1200 while in the middle of a download using a DF1 cable, the download terminated with a fault. The ML1200 had the fault RED led on solid. I had to power off and power on to get the ML1200 to respond on Rslinx RSWho and perform the download again. After that no issues. Today, I was doing an online edit with a SLC 5/04 using PCMK PCMIA DH+ in another part of the plant, as soon as I assembled the edit, the SLC crashed, and the RED fault LED was flasing on the CPU. The program was gone and I had to download once again.

Dell latitude D620, Win XP SP2
Rockwell CPR 9
Rslogix 7.3
Rslinx Classic 2.52

coincidence?

I have a 524 with the first release os (I forget) and it will crash every time you down load if something else is pulling information out of it, such as a spread sheet or even RsView32.

It was in a rack a long way from my computer so I changed it out, and it didn't support the Compute command any ways.

Maybe just that old processor? or not?

Clint

CJones said:
I have a 524 with the first release os (I forget) and it will crash every time you down load if something else is pulling information out of it, such as a spread sheet or even RsView32.

It was in a rack a long way from my computer so I changed it out, and it didn't support the Compute command any ways.

Maybe just that old processor? or not?

Clint

SLC 5/04 OS401 Series C FRN10
ML1200 Series C

Jeebus, that's scary. I've worked on a few 5/04's via PCMK withouth trouble. The only difference would be the version of Linx and Logix500. We are still using V7.2 of 500 and 2.51 of linx. Hopefully there is not an issue.

Mickey said:
WAQ, Try using your laptop on battery power only.

One incident on battery, the other with power supply plugged in

Good thing with the SLC 5/04 the machine was not in production

dmroeder said:
Can you make it happen consistently?

I really hope not. The plant starts production next week.
I don't know if it's my paranoid suspicious troubleshooting skills, but I have noticed since upgrading to CPR9 I now have:

-Contrologix/Compactlogix online edits randomly take 3 -5 seconds (Ethernet)
-Download to M1200 crash CPU (DF1)
-Online edit with SLC 5/04 crash CPU on edit assemble (DH+)

curlyandshemp said:
I really hope not. The plant starts production next week.
I don't know if it's my paranoid suspicious troubleshooting skills, but I have noticed since upgrading to CPR9 I now have:

-Contrologix/Compactlogix online edits randomly take 3 -5 seconds (Ethernet)
-Download to M1200 crash CPU (DF1)
-Online edit with SLC 5/04 crash CPU on edit assemble (DH+)

Have you reported this to RA?
If not, I'm sure that they would be interested in this data.

curlyandshemp said:
I am currently on a job site commissioning a bunch of 'old' new PLCs. In the past two days I have had two PLCs crash on me and have their respective memories wiped out and reverted back to the default configuration. The first was a ML1200 while in the middle of a download using a DF1 cable, the download terminated with a fault. The ML1200 had the fault RED led on solid. I had to power off and power on to get the ML1200 to respond on Rslinx RSWho and perform the download again. After that no issues. Today, I was doing an online edit with a SLC 5/04 using PCMK PCMIA DH+ in another part of the plant, as soon as I assembled the edit, the SLC crashed, and the RED fault LED was flasing on the CPU. The program was gone and I had to download once again.

Dell latitude D620, Win XP SP2
Rockwell CPR 9
Rslogix 7.3
Rslinx Classic 2.52

coincidence?

As a follow up to this:

- I am still on the job site
- I used one of the other guy's ,on site with me, laptop , done an online edit with HIS laptop and BOOM SLC 5/04 crashed compiling an online edit.

He has the exact same software versions as I do, but he has a Toshiba laptop.

After the crash, no more online edits caused a crash with his laptop.

Went back to the same machine later with MY laptop, went online with the SLC 5/04, done an online edit , BOOM, plc crashed again. After the crash, no more online edits with my laptop caused a crash.

weird.

So are both of you using the PCMK card, or are you having trouble with the serial port too?

And if I understand you correctly, you can make an online edit, and it crashes. Then you re-load the program with the same laptop and never have a problem again? But the first time you make an online edit with a different laptop, it crashes again, correct?

So what if you get through the crashing with your laptop, and now you can make online edits fine, and then you re-boot your computer? Will it crash again?

Last edited:
I have ecperienced the online editing fault with SLC 5/04s in the past too. At one site I can make it happen everytime an edit is performed over DH+. The strange thing is that the CPU faults and it looks like it is wiped clean from the DH+ port, but connecting to the serial port the ladder is fine but the DH+ port is locked up. The only way to get past this condition is to download a fresh program. Tech Support was no help, they blamed the DH+ wiring (which works fine for about a dozen other PLC5s and SLCs). I eventually added a NET ENI and do the online edits over Ethernet with no problems.

dmroeder said:
So are both of you using the PCMK card, or are you having trouble with the serial port too?

And if I understand you correctly, you can make an online edit, and it crashes. Then you re-load the program with the same laptop and never have a problem again? But the first time you make an online edit with a different laptop, it crashes again, correct?

So what if you get through the crashing with your laptop, and now you can make online edits fine, and then you re-boot your computer? Will it crash again?

Once the CPU crushes, and the program is downloaded to the CPU, no more crashes occur until the same program on a different laptop is used.