Inexpensive Headless Marquees with Google TV

surferb

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm sure everyone has a use for large screen status displays around their plant. There's been a lot of talk about different ways of doing it, most revolve around having a local PC/thin client or using DVI/HDMI extender devices (still driven by a PC). While this provides cool results, it's not cheap and clunky at best to maintain.

Steve Hechtman brings up an interesting idea in his blog post below. New Sony LCD TVs (or any Google TV units) retail for about $1000 for a 40" set that has integrated wired and wireless network capabilities. They also come with a modern version of Chrome installed. If you have "web status" capabilities in your plant (which could be your corporate Intranet site or dashboard) - this is a drop in fit! In the case of Ignition, the TV doesn't run Java so you need the "mobile module". We're talking about an inexpensive, vendor neutral means of bringing awesome status displays for cheap!

http://computingwithoutboundaries.blogspot.com/2011/01/sony-google-tv-ignition-mobile-awesome.html

http://www.google.com/tv/

Last edited:
Is anyone using a regular LCD/Plasma TV for a hi-res industrial Marquee? Even airports do this now...

We have 5 samsung 42 inch led flat screen tv for displays around the plant. Thay run off computers in the server closets and we use HDMI over cat5 to get the video signal to them as the pc is stored a good distance away from the screen.

Tim - good deal. HDMI/DVI is the only way to go. Do you need 5 PCs to drive the 5 displays? Does everything fire up automatically, or do you need a user to set it all up upon power failure, etc?

Inexpensive, good deal? - I am afraid not.
$1000 for a 40"? I could buy 5 of 40" for 1K.
and Ignition is not cheap, the mobile module alone already cost $4500, plus you will need to drivers, vision module, SQL bridge to do something meaningful.

I also not sure about future of Java that Ignition is relying on. Google will definitely drop it in the not so distance. What then?

I was about to post the headless Cmore from Automation Direct when I noticed a it was a resurrected post...

The cool thing is that now there are many low cost ways to do it.