5000 ver32, reading down to Lower versions

showshocka

Hi. I am currently running Studio 5000 version 32.11. I can open an attempt to go online with a project that is version number 30.00 and will not allow me to go online unless, it's saying I have to change the controller type to go online. Why would I have to do that to read down to version 30?

I then tried to reinstall version 30 and an install message comes up saying I had a more up to date version already installed. In the meanwhile I still can not go online with the version 30 project because of the previous message stated. Any Ideas? Thanking all in advance.

You can only go online with a controller if you have installed the software version that matches the firmware level of the controller (only major revision level matters with a couple exceptions not relevant here).

Yes, this means you need installed multiple software versions if you will be supporting controllers with multiple firmware versions.

Because Rockwell is terrible at this, your install of v30 is likely failing because some component installed along with it was installed at a higher level when you installed v32. For some reason the one component being at a higher level cancels the whole install. The log message should tell you which component -- in my experience it's usually FactoryTalk Linx/RSLinx Enterprise. In Windows 10 you should be able to deselect whatever it is from the list of options being installed, iirc back in Windows 7 you could 'fix' the issue by uninstalling the component in question individually so it will install again with your new (old) version, then once done installing upgrade back to the more recent version if you care.

I am going to try once again, uninstalling v32 and installing vr30. It did not work the first time I did it, I forgot the message that I got. I will come back to here after, or if I get the install message again, either way.

Installed Versions.JPG

For some reason the one component being at a higher level cancels the whole install. The log message should tell you which component -- in my experience it's usually FactoryTalk Linx/RSLinx Enterprise. In Windows 10 you should be able to deselect whatever it is from the list of options being installed

I never even make that far to even be able to deselect components. It tells me It will not install from the very first message at initial install attempt. Could you direct me through the steps or how to view this, the log? Thanks.

I have uninstalled all versions higher then 20.xx and when I go to install version 30.00 it tells me that It will not install because I have a version higher already installed

I’ve ran into this with the FactoryTalk Services Platform preventing an installation. Make sure that is uninstalled as well.

What is the exact wording of the message you get? And can you provide the log file that the failed install should be generating?

I just copied the version 30.02.00 compressed folder from cloud storage to my desktop and it is 7.45gB in size consisting of four parts before extraction. The parts are named:
"30.02.00-Studio5000-Web.part1.exe" (2gb)
"30.02.00-Studio5000-Web.part2.rar" (2gb)
"30.02.00-Studio5000-Web.part3.rar" (2gb)
"30.02.00-Studio5000-Web.part4.rar" (1.8gb)

During extraction, I do find a setup.exe file in the folder named "30.02.00-Studio5000-Web". After extraction finally completed, the newly created folder size is 9,540,399,104 bytes.

Your version isn't exactly the same, but I think the file sizes will be similar.

I suspect you may have missed one or more of the compressed files when you copied or downloaded the media from the internet. That has happened to me once before with a different version.

Last edited:
Your version isn't exactly the same, but I think the file sizes will be similar.

I suspect you may have missed one of the compressed files when you copied or downloaded the media from the internet. That has happened to me once before with a different version.

They must have it wrong on our share drive, that's where I got it from. Web and Full.

Is it possible I can d/l yours from the cloud? 🍺