Studio 5000 v27 windows 10

J2009

I have just downloaded Studio 5000 v27 on a windows 10 machine. I have used this PC for quite a while with Logix5, 500, and 5000 v 20.

When I startup studio the startup pages opens to create, open, or explore. I am trying to create a new project so I select new project and then it opens up the new project window. I select a 5571 controller and give it a name and then next. I select v27 and no protection, the chassis size and then finish.

After that the studio 5000 splash window opens for a few seconds and then the software closes out. It is no longer running on task manager and there is no saved file in the location. I have already downloaded the AOPs and uninstalled and re-installed with no changes.

Has anyone had this problem or have any idea how to resolve it?

I have not had that specific problem, but I have had fewer problems since I started always running the applications (Logix/Studio) as "administrator". I don't know why, but it has helped reduce crazy issues like this.

So just right-click and "Run As Administrator". See if it helps.

Hmmmm, maybe try applying the latest patch roll-up?

I know that's not likely to help.....

Can you open an existing file?

Every other file I have is in RSlogix 5000 v20 so if I open one of those in studio it just opens it up in v20 of RSlogix 5000. I am just now starting to upgrade everything to v27

Check what build you are on. Go to Windows update, on the right side is "OS Build Info". See which one you are on.

I am on 1709 and I am currently having the same issue. I worked with RA support all today and will again tomorrow.

Listening in for a response. This has popped up for a few of my colleagues who have recently life-cycled their PCs. Don't know what OS build.

@JosephMont, did RA support mention any specific Win10 builds or KB updates to avoid?

This is a known problem with v27 along with a few other versions running under Windows 10. There's a technote but sorry I'm about out of time tonight and too lazy to go look for it. Look for v27 LogixDesigner.exe and configure it to run compatible with Windows Vista. This should fix the disappearing problem but there are other parts of the software I've ran into that will not work such as "save as" and export/import tags, routines etc.

DaveW said:
This is a known problem with v27 along with a few other versions running under Windows 10. There's a technote...

1023480 - Studio 5000 Logix Designer Closes When Opening in Windows 10
Access Level: TechConnect

Yes, it may affect Studio 5000 Logix Designer version 21/23/24/27

For version 23/24/27 - set compatibility for LogixDesigner.exe to Vista SP2
For version 21 - set compatability for LogixDesigner.exe to XP SP3

Make sure compatibility is set on the actual executable for the version in question...

C:\Program Files(x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Common\Logix Designer\ENU\vxx\Bin\LogixDesigner.exe

...where xx denotes the specific version.

While they do not specifically say that this may happen with pre Logix Designer version 21 software in Windows 10 i.e. RSLogix 5000 version 20 or older, they do also provide the path to the older executable RS5000.exe in the technote. This might suggest that it is possible. If it does happen to users of RSLogix 5000 version 20 or older, then I would advise that you also set compatibility for RS5000.exe to XP SP3, similar to Logix Designer version 21, rather than Vista SP2, which appears to be only relevant to later versions beyond version 21.

Of course, none of this is taking into account what versions of software are officially supported under Windows 10...

RSLogix 5000: v20.04 only
Logix Designer: v24/28/30/31 and future

Why v24/28 are officially compatible with Windows 10 when v26/27/29 are not is beyond me?

Rockwell, you sadists!

Regards,
George

The registry setting I was referring to is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\Start Page\Never Show

It is a DWord, looks like I had it backward, it needs to be a 1 to not show the start page.