What is a EDS file?

I hate to say this but I am very partial to USA answers.

You are not telling me why I need it or what it is as it relates to SLC-500.

I will use my tech-connect contract to get a better grasp of it.. With the way way the world is now and all the interference from world wide hackers I will will give up on international suggestions and go directly to the horses mouth.

If any one in the USA can give advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry but, It is what it is...

"The we live in now is what we made it"

This is a very sad person, he could have put the effort into reading the manuals, open an EDS file in notepad and work it out, good old google, or the laziest method, ask on this forum.
But he took the lazy route wanting someone to give an in-depth overview using their time and experience they got the hard way (not asking on this forum), then has the nerve to insult a valued/helpful member (who may possible be a Japanese, who you's dropped a nuclear bomb on), l would describe it in one word, disgusting!

Last edited:
WOW! Its not the way that I said it but the way you interpreted it,

I did not mean to disrespect any non-Americans to my question. I just wanted local answer to a simple question.

I have a hard time trying decipher answers from others. A simple question deserves a simple answer such as what it is and would need it

Myself and others would just like a simple intermediate answers. Just make it them simple please, you are here to help. Please do not reply that you can not help. All that does is to make it look like you are just trying to increase the number of posts that you reply to. Its like you are saying I have 10,000 posts but only 2000 are actually helpful, but the other 8000 you are saying "I cant help you."
Well if I dont understand the answer and there answer is from another world I will ask for more local help. It is what it is, no disrespect to outsiders,

I pick and choose including the locality when considering the suggested solutions to my inquiry's. The world as we know it is not the same as when we were younger.

With my employer I must be extremely cautious as to outside suggestions and solutions. I can not divulge what it is so I hope that you understand this.

With the world being the way it is now with all the influencers who want to disrupt the American process I am very selective on where I get reliable help.

BY THE WAY, IT WAS JUST A SIMPLE QUESTION!

If you wanted an answer from American only posters you certainly did not say so in your original post (although I would never restrict my posts to any one country), I find it quite disrespectful in saying you only respect answers from American posters, most people on here regardless where they come from write in English. I don't think an explanation of what an EDS file is or what it does is going to influence the American way of life or beliefs. If you have a Tech connect contract why did you need answers on this site.
I have a great respect for most Americans, indeed a great deal of my work has been for American based companies and military, never in all that time have I come across this sort of disrespect. Perhaps you need a few lessons in diplomacy, you live in the free world so just ignore answers from other contributors, not attack them.

You know how when you plug a device into a USB port on your computer, it looks for a driver before the device is ready for use? When you need to add a device to an industrial network like Ethernet IP or Profinet, the EDS file contains the information the PLC hosting that industrial network requires to be a able to communicate with the device.

Is that "local" enough?

Sorry but, It is what it is...

The only valid answer to a question like your's is "Just google it bro".
If you just want a cookie cutter abstract of the real answer, go hit your head against paid Rockwell support.

For a lively forum environment, you have to ask questions with some leg-work already done. By the way, I'm in the US, and AlfredoQuintero's answer has only expanded my knowledge. Thank you AlfredoQuintero, very cool.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm in the US, and AlfredoQuintero's answer has only expanded my knowledge. Thank you AlfredoQuintero, very cool.

You are very welcome, PrePLC. It is very uplifting to read that some of my posts are helpful to PLCTALK NET members. I find you posts often and they are always interesting reading as well. And your signature is very amusing.

well, I never did...you learn something new every day.

I never understood that EDS files were different for the ol US of A.

They must be simpler there for the folks to make sense of their use and content.

Guess I should download Dr Who's TARDIS Universal Translator before I go nab any more EDS files.

EDS file
To me its kind of like reading a map of a device. Rules of the road for each device.
How to turn it on/off?
How to read certain defined functions?
How to read configuration parameters and what do they represent?
How to monitor readable parameters?

Devicenet, Ethernet, Controlnet uses the EDS to know what each word and bit level definitions so you as a programmer can turn on or off, or monitor that device.
Profibus uses a GSD file, similar to EDS and represents the same road map type.
Every network will use eds to create there configuration tabs that you see IO config trees (ethernet), RSNetworx for Devicenet device level tabs.

EDS file
To me its kind of like reading a map of a device. Rules of the road for each device.
How to turn it on/off?
How to read certain defined functions?
How to read configuration parameters and what do they represent?
How to monitor readable parameters?

Devicenet, Ethernet, Controlnet uses the EDS to know what each word and bit level definitions so you as a programmer can turn on or off, or monitor that device.
Profibus uses a GSD file, similar to EDS and represents the same road map type.
Every network will use eds to create there configuration tabs that you see IO config trees (ethernet), RSNetworx for Devicenet device level tabs.

That's alright for you guys and girls in the USA, but could you explain how they work in Australian ocka language:ROFLMAO:

That's alright for you guys and girls in the USA, but could you explain how they work in Australian ocka language:ROFLMAO:
˙sqɐʇ ןǝʌǝן ǝɔıʌǝp ʇǝuǝɔıʌǝp ɹoɟ xɹoʍʇǝusɹ '(ʇǝuɹǝɥʇǝ) sǝǝɹʇ ƃıɟuoɔ oı ǝǝs noʎ ʇɐɥʇ sqɐʇ uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ǝɹǝɥʇ ǝʇɐǝɹɔ oʇ spǝ ǝsn ןןıʍ ʞɹoʍʇǝu ʎɹǝʌǝ
˙ǝdʎʇ dɐɯ pɐoɹ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ sʇuǝsǝɹdǝɹ puɐ spǝ oʇ ɹɐןıɯıs 'ǝןıɟ psƃ ɐ sǝsn snqıɟoɹd
˙ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹo 'ɟɟo ɹo uo uɹnʇ uɐɔ ɹǝɯɯɐɹƃoɹd ɐ sɐ noʎ os suoıʇıuıɟǝp ןǝʌǝן ʇıq puɐ pɹoʍ ɥɔɐǝ ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ oʇ spǝ ǝɥʇ sǝsn ʇǝuןoɹʇuoɔ 'ʇǝuɹǝɥʇǝ 'ʇǝuǝɔıʌǝp

¿sɹǝʇǝɯɐɹɐd ǝןqɐpɐǝɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ oʇ ʍoɥ
¿ʇuǝsǝɹdǝɹ ʎǝɥʇ op ʇɐɥʍ puɐ sɹǝʇǝɯɐɹɐd uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ pɐǝɹ oʇ ʍoɥ
¿suoıʇɔunɟ pǝuıɟǝp uıɐʇɹǝɔ pɐǝɹ oʇ ʍoɥ
¿ɟɟo/uo ʇı uɹnʇ oʇ ʍoɥ
˙ǝɔıʌǝp ɥɔɐǝ ɹoɟ pɐoɹ ǝɥʇ ɟo sǝןnɹ ˙ǝɔıʌǝp ɐ ɟo dɐɯ ɐ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝʞıן ɟo puıʞ sʇı ǝɯ oʇ
ǝןıɟ spǝ

˙sqɐʇ ןǝʌǝן ǝɔıʌǝp ʇǝuǝɔıʌǝp ɹoɟ xɹoʍʇǝusɹ '(ʇǝuɹǝɥʇǝ) sǝǝɹʇ ƃıɟuoɔ oı ǝǝs noʎ ʇɐɥʇ sqɐʇ uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ ǝɹǝɥʇ ǝʇɐǝɹɔ oʇ spǝ ǝsn ןןıʍ ʞɹoʍʇǝu ʎɹǝʌǝ
˙ǝdʎʇ dɐɯ pɐoɹ ǝɯɐs ǝɥʇ sʇuǝsǝɹdǝɹ puɐ spǝ oʇ ɹɐןıɯıs 'ǝןıɟ psƃ ɐ sǝsn snqıɟoɹd
˙ǝɔıʌǝp ʇɐɥʇ ɹoʇıuoɯ ɹo 'ɟɟo ɹo uo uɹnʇ uɐɔ ɹǝɯɯɐɹƃoɹd ɐ sɐ noʎ os suoıʇıuıɟǝp ןǝʌǝן ʇıq puɐ pɹoʍ ɥɔɐǝ ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ oʇ spǝ ǝɥʇ sǝsn ʇǝuןoɹʇuoɔ 'ʇǝuɹǝɥʇǝ 'ʇǝuǝɔıʌǝp

¿sɹǝʇǝɯɐɹɐd ǝןqɐpɐǝɹ ɹoʇıuoɯ oʇ ʍoɥ
¿ʇuǝsǝɹdǝɹ ʎǝɥʇ op ʇɐɥʍ puɐ sɹǝʇǝɯɐɹɐd uoıʇɐɹnƃıɟuoɔ pɐǝɹ oʇ ʍoɥ
¿suoıʇɔunɟ pǝuıɟǝp uıɐʇɹǝɔ pɐǝɹ oʇ ʍoɥ
¿ɟɟo/uo ʇı uɹnʇ oʇ ʍoɥ
˙ǝɔıʌǝp ɥɔɐǝ ɹoɟ pɐoɹ ǝɥʇ ɟo sǝןnɹ ˙ǝɔıʌǝp ɐ ɟo dɐɯ ɐ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝʞıן ɟo puıʞ sʇı ǝɯ oʇ
ǝןıɟ spǝ

I'm getting dizzy. (Born in the USA)

I guess only an Aussie will get it.