OT: Laptop Recommendations 2020

bornwild

Hello Guys,

I have a Dell Precision M4800. The laptop is a beast and builds to last. Lately, I have some problems with the battery and it is getting old now. Can someone recommend a good laptop? I run lot of virtual machines including memory Hog like TIA portal. Suggest a good laptop with a good battery and minimum 16gb ram .

Hello Guys,

I have a Dell Precision M4800. The laptop is a beast and builds to last. Lately, I have some problems with the battery and it is getting old now. Can someone recommend a good laptop? I run lot of virtual machines including memory Hog like TIA portal. Suggest a good laptop with a good battery and minimum 16gb ram .

I've carried Dell Precision's for over 10 years, and would not go on the road without one.

This machine is your LIFE on the road, and saving money is not a priority with this choice.

You could do two things now...(1) Buy a new Precision, and (2) Buy a fresh battery for the 'old' one, and keep the old one for non-VM work. {I use my standby laptop for "communications" - Teams, e-mail, WebEx, Zoom, etc.; as well as real-RS232 port work via the I/O expander.

I've carried Dell Precision's for over 10 years, and would not go on the road without one.

This machine is your LIFE on the road, and saving money is not a priority with this choice.

You could do two things now...(1) Buy a new Precision, and (2) Buy a fresh battery for the 'old' one, and keep the old one for non-VM work. {I use my standby laptop for "communications" - Teams, e-mail, WebEx, Zoom, etc.; as well as real-RS232 port work via the I/O expander.

Thanks . Any particular model you recommend. How are the Asus Laptops.

HP Z-book are a good quality. Not industrial grade, but good quality.
Unless you have extreme environmental requirements, I would not go for an 'industrial' grade laptop.

Lenovo P53, CORE i7-9850H @ 2.6 GHz, 64 GB ram, 2TB SSD. Runs multiple VMs with ease and good battery life.

Thanks . Any particular model you recommend. How are the Asus Laptops.

My work computer is an Asus and it's been alright. Was really fast when I first got it in 2017 but it's not been fantastic the last year. My biggest gripe is that it only has one functioning USB port, it has a second with the SS symbol next to it but from what I can tell it only charges devices, it doesn't transmit or receive data. It also doesn't have a full height RJ45 jack, but it hasn't really caused any issues for me.

My work computer is an Asus and it's been alright. Was really fast when I first got it in 2017 but it's not been fantastic the last year. My biggest gripe is that it only has one functioning USB port, it has a second with the SS symbol next to it but from what I can tell it only charges devices, it doesn't transmit or receive data. It also doesn't have a full height RJ45 jack, but it hasn't really caused any issues for me.

Sounds like your port is broken, because all the SS denotes is USB 3.0. As long as you have a compatible device it should be fine for data.

I got a PRECISION 3541 and am very disappointed.

Cooling is sub par, it is very loud.
It is a powerful machine, okay to work on directly. Docks just fine to multiple screens. But it sounds like I am working on a Boeing.

Been very happy with my previous precision, I should have opted for the 7000 series again.

I have the new DELL Precision 5540. It is one of the best laptops I've used. The OLED screen is bright enough to use on outside field jobs. (My previous outside field laptop was a GETAC S410, and didn't perform nearly as well).

I have used DELL, HP, and Lenovo mobile workstations. The DELL has always held up the best over the years.

I have also used GETAC, DELL, and Panasonic field laptops (semi-rugged), and even then on a performance to capability front, the DELL has outperformed the rest.

I have the new DELL Precision 5540. It is one of the best laptops I've used. The OLED screen is bright enough to use on outside field jobs. (My previous outside field laptop was a GETAC S410, and didn't perform nearly as well).

I have used DELL, HP, and Lenovo mobile workstations. The DELL has always held up the best over the years.

I have also used GETAC, DELL, and Panasonic field laptops (semi-rugged), and even then on a performance to capability front, the DELL has outperformed the rest.

Agreed, I have the older 5530, they are good machines, aluminium cased, pretty slim, light(ish) no Ethernet port though so need to carry (and not lose) a dongle

Sounds like your port is broken, because all the SS denotes is USB 3.0. As long as you have a compatible device it should be fine for data.

Yeah, didn't mention that I knew that it was supposed to be USB 3.0, but I've yet to find a device that will work in it. It hasn't worked since the computer was brand new. I've tried USB 3.0 thumb drives and it just doesn't recognize them.

HP Z-book are a good quality. Not industrial grade, but good quality.
Unless you have extreme environmental requirements, I would not go for an 'industrial' grade laptop.
Agree.
We had toughbooks, but this time decided to go with Z-Book instead.

10th gen I-9 processor and 32 GB ram, 512gb SSD, and 1 TB spinning HD.
1/2 the price of a toughbook.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad P52 15" Mobile Workstation
have been using them for years.
No issues....
rugged enough for my field use.
like previously stated spend the extra dollars it will be worth it..