Proficy ME Opening a Project Directly From File

Nismo83

Any GE/Emerson PLC gurus here?

We currently have a mix of Rockwell and GE PLCs in the plant(we are in the process of slowly phasing out the GEs). I recently purchased FT AssetCentre to maintain version control and tracking of our PLC projects.

I'm trying to add the ME projects to AssetCentre, but I haven't found a way to open a project directly from a file when checking the project out. The ME executable just opens to a blank session and you open projects from there, which isn't acceptable for what I'm trying to do. I need to be able to open the project from AssetCentre. I would rather not have to purchase GE/Emerson Change Management software if I can help it.

Any ideas?

Trying to apply the tools of one PLC manufacturer to the files of another is generally an exercise in futility.

True, but I didn't think I would have an issue opening a project file directly though, even without AssetCentre being involved. Apparently, it's not like Rockwell projects where you can just click on the project file in Windows File Explorer and it opens the project. You have to use the ME interface to open them.

If I have to purchase the GE CM software, then that's what I'll do. I would just rather have everything under one "umbrella" as far as asset management if I could help it :)

The executable for a Proficy project file is MyProject.SwxCF located normally in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Proficy\Proficy Machine Edition\SecurWORX\Local\FrameworX\MyProject

The Proficy Machine Edition runtime is

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Proficy\Proficy Machine Edition\Common\IDE\FrameworX.exe.exe"

If you associate the .SwxCF file extension with the Machine Edition executable, double clicking the .SwxCF file launches Machine Edition, but you still need to select the project to be opened. Is that where you're stymied? You'd like to launch PME and have it launch the project you double-clicked?

The executable for a Proficy project file is MyProject.SwxCF located normally in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Proficy\Proficy Machine Edition\SecurWORX\Local\FrameworX\MyProject

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Proficy\Proficy Machine Edition\Common\IDE\FrameworX.exe.exe"

If you associate the .SwxCF file extension with the Machine Edition executable, double clicking the .SwxCF file launches Machine Edition, but you still need to select the project to be opened. Is that where you're stymied? You'd like to launch PME and have it launch the project you double-clicked?

I wonder if a command line edit would launch the project automatically?

Yes! I'd like for PME to launch the project that I double clicked. If I could solve that issue, then AssetCentre should work.