Can't Convert 1756-L83E to Emulate?

Olly

Hi,

I am trying to simulate with Studio 5000 Logix Emulate but I cannot convert my 1756-L83E Processor to an Emulate Processor. Normally I would just go to the processor in the I/O tree, open the properies window, click Change Controller and select Emulate from the list but Emulate isn't in the list for this PLC. It is working for L-7x series processors however...Am I missing something?

Thanks for any assistance.

You are probably not missing something. Once a project is converted to a L8x, it can only be change to other controllers of the same family (5069/L8x), for some dumb reason. You cannot change it back to an older family controller.

New Emulate 5000 due next May which will support L8x processors. Many new features. Like you won't have to download anymore. Just point it to the .ACD file.

I had to edit an L5K file in a text editor to change the controller and version.

The easiest way is to create a new ACD with an Emulate controller, export it to L5K, and export your own ACD to L5K, then copy the program parts from your L5K to the new L5K, save, and reimport.

Of course, you're going to have errors for any missing real I/O, because you can't match your real I/O to Emulate I/O. This is where if you have a I/O mapping routine, it's easy just to delete the routine and JSR in your Emulate ACD.

Just came across this issue after upgrading to this processor. Have they released an emulation software? I do hope my pro studio license will cover that.

Just came across this issue after upgrading to this processor. Have they released an emulation software? I do hope my pro studio license will cover that.

They did. It's called factory talk logix echo, and it's a paid software.

Hello

I have installed Studio 5000 v33 and Emulate 5000 v33

I have a program with 1756-L82E controller and I can not select Emulate controller, it does not appears.

or I am doing something incorrect?

Thanks in advance.

or I am doing something incorrect?

No, the software doesn't let you do this. What I do is create a new project with the Emulate CPU, export the program parts from the project with the CPU, and import into the Emulate project. Then you have to delete parts of the program that refer to hardware tags.

Last edited:
No, the software doesn't let you do this. What I do is create a new project with the Emulate CPU, export the program parts from the project with the CPU, and import into the Emulate project. Then you have to delete parts of the program that refer to hardware tags.

Also, I need to change L82E CPU to L71 but this CPU not appears.

So I need to do the same?

Export the program, part by part and import in the new project with L71 CPU?

And add manually the Remote I/O and ethernet connections?

Thanks again

Also, I need to change L82E CPU to L71 but this CPU not appears.

So I need to do the same?

Export the program, part by part and import in the new project with L71 CPU?

It likely does not appear because the firmware version of the L82 is newer than the last firmware supported by the L71.

What to do:

1. File SaveAs the whole L82 file to an L5K (not L5X -- L5K is much easier to work with).
  2. Create a new, blank L71 file and also SaveAS it to L5K.
  3. In a plain text editor (notepad or better), open each file.
  • Paste the sections from the L71 file over the similar sections of the L82. (mostly where it starts with CONTROLLER to where it says MODULE; about 20 lines.)
  • You can keep the Datatypes (UDTs), I/O tree (MODULEs), AOIs and logic of the L82.

When your done, open the new L5K file, and save the .ACD file.

The only trouble you might run into is that there may be certain functions that are newer than the L71 version. This might include Logical organizer info, which you may have to edit out by hand or intelligent search/replace. Fortunately, if there are problems, the import will tell you exactly what line it bombed on. Open it again in Notepad++ and fix.

Good luck!

It likely does not appear because the firmware version of the L82 is newer than the last firmware supported by the L71.

What to do:

1. File SaveAs the whole L82 file to an L5K (not L5X -- L5K is much easier to work with).
  2. Create a new, blank L71 file and also SaveAS it to L5K.
  3. In a plain text editor (notepad or better), open each file.
  • Paste the sections from the L71 file over the similar sections of the L82. (mostly where it starts with CONTROLLER to where it says MODULE; about 20 lines.)
  • You can keep the Datatypes (UDTs), I/O tree (MODULEs), AOIs and logic of the L82.

When your done, open the new L5K file, and save the .ACD file.

The only trouble you might run into is that there may be certain functions that are newer than the L71 version. This might include Logical organizer info, which you may have to edit out by hand or intelligent search/replace. Fortunately, if there are problems, the import will tell you exactly what line it bombed on. Open it again in Notepad++ and fix.

Good luck!

Hello

I did what you said.

But I/O tree is not appearing, only the CPU ( In the new L71.ACD file).

It is strange, because in the L82.L5K the I/O tree appears.

Maybe because the L82E has an integrated Ethernet port where it has several modules, and the L71 has not integrated Ethernet port?

So, should I need to add each module manually i the new L71.ACD?

Thanks again

Last edited: