Upload Tag values from Control Logix PLC

mjggjm12

Is there a way to upload all of the tags with their current values from the PLC? I am using Studio 5000 version 31.11. We need a snapshot of the current tag values before we make changes to the program.

Thanks for any advice.

Pretty sure it does this when you click "Save" while online with the processor, does that not meet your requirements?

I haven't used it in ages, but they had a tool included with Studio called the Tag Upload/Download Tool. I think it saved the data as a .CSV

But it has been a long time. And I think you have to have a licensed copy of RSLinx Classic. "Lite" didn't have the capability.

OG

Last edited:
Integrated in Logix Designer

Is there a posibility to upgrade to V32?

In V32 of logix designer, there is finally a tool integrated to upload/download tag values. When you download or upload the program, you can select a file where the tag data is stored. Is very handy for editing tag values offline.
But this file is a xml file. I dont know if its posible to convert a xml to excel.

Up to V31 there was only the posibility with the tag Upload/Download Tool mentioned. But is does not very work good, it crashes if you have a lot of tags (at least my experience). I could never download all my tags at once.

Thanks all for the replies. I have used the tag upload/download tool in the past, but it crashed on me as well. I also only have RSlinx Classic lite for some reason. It is only a group of 100 or so tags. I guess I will have to just do it manually by looking at each value and entering it into a spreadsheet.

Thanks all for the replies. I have used the tag upload/download tool in the past, but it crashed on me as well. I also only have RSlinx Classic lite for some reason. It is only a group of 100 or so tags. I guess I will have to just do it manually by looking at each value and entering it into a spreadsheet.

If it's a small enough program, you can do File>Print>Tags. This would print tags and tag values.
With some careful copying, you should be able to get that into excel.

If it's a small enough program, you can do File>Print>Tags. This would print tags and tag values.
With some careful copying, you should be able to get that into excel.

Thanks!!! That was exactly what I needed. It printed it in a report which is fine because I just needed the values for documentation purposes.

I use Excel if I want to up/download specific tags. Just make a DDE macro (plenty of examples on here to RSLinx) and make a upload and download buttons.
I use it a lot for setting strings and timer presets.

I use Excel if I want to up/download specific tags. Just make a DDE macro (plenty of examples on here to RSLinx) and make a upload and download buttons.
I use it a lot for setting strings and timer presets.

Do you have a guide to do writes to PLC via dde?

Do you have a guide to do writes to PLC via dde?

This is what I use to write a value to my plc after I pull all the data I wanted.
Of course you will need rsLinx OEM and set up the topic for your PLC.
This is all done in the dev section of excel, I have a button that triggers this on the main page so I can trouble shoot it as needed. This generally runs every morning at 4am and is automated by a function within the application.
In this instance, the topic is F2905_Snap, and Program:MainProgram.Reset_Pointer is the tag that I am writing to.

Sub Reset_Front Snap()

RSIChan = DDEInitiate("RSLINX","F2905_Snap")

DDEPoke RSIChan, " Program:MainProgram.Reset_Pointer", [i1]

DDETerminate (RSIChan)

End Sub

The [i1] is the cell in the excel spread sheet that I chose to hold the data I wanted to write the the PLC. in this instance I have the number 1 in cell i1 and it writes a 1 to my plc bit named Reset_Pointer, this is a dint.

Hope this helps. If you need more, let me know and i'll share what worked out for me. I am no vba expert by any means.

Gad

If manual operations acceptable and controllogix is anything like micrologix and you can save the current state to a pdf, libre office has an option to save the pdf text to html, which is straightforward to parse e.g. with Python, but by the time you get that deep into shaving the yak a simple custom pylogix script might be just as easy with the added benefit that it could automate the entire process.