Job Qualifications

James Mcquade

hi all,
i know we all have various experience with plc's and such and i found these requirements on a jobsite for a controls engineer. How many of you can do all of this?

PLC - Allen Bradley: CompactLogix, ControlLogix, SLC 500, PLC 5, MicroLogix, Siemens: 416, Square D: Symax 50, Festo: Smart Valve,
HMI - Allen Bradley: Panelview, Panelview Plus, Siemens: TP, OP Series.
Communications - Allen Bradley Ethernet I/P, ControlNet, Devicenet, Siemens: Profibus.
Variable Frequency Drives - Allen Bradley Powerflex, SEW Eurodrive.
Robotics – Denso, Epson, FANUC, (Staubli 6 and 4 axis robots,Bosch SCARA).
Linear Actuators - Intelligent Actuator, Festo, Tolomatic, Rexroth.
Servos – Allen Bradley: Kenetics 6000, SERCOS Servo Drive Interface, Yaskawa: SGDV, SGDH.
Vision – Keyence / Panasonic / Cognex / DVT.
Data Acquistion - Keithley: DAS-1400, DAS-1600, PIO-120
Software knowledge

PLC - Allen Bradley: RSLogix 5000, RSLogix 500, Siemens: Step 7, Square D, Festo.
HMI - Allen Bradley: FactoryTalk View Studio, RSView, PanelBuilder, Siemens: ProTool.
Communications - Allen Bradley: RSNetworks, RSLinx, Ethernet, ControlNet, DeviceNet, Siemens: Profibus.
Robotics - Adept V+, QuickBasic.
Servos - Allen Bradley: Kinetics 6000, SEW: Motion Studio.
Application Development - Visual Basic v4.0, v5.0, v6.0, National Instruments LabWindows

Regards,
james

If a potential employer is gonna dream, he might as well dream BIG. All that skill set ? I mean, who besides Sheldon Cooper, would have this talent. I bet they were offering $35-40,000 /year too.

As a list of automation products present in a single facility, that's not unusual. With a mix that large, there are probably a few people in the facility responsible for maintaining them and no single person is considered the go-to guy for the entire list.

Management: We need to reduce costs.
Also Management: We'll make everyone redundant and replace them with 1 person - Brilliant. This deserves a pay rise!

This was the requirements of an OEM near me, offering 70K
i agree, they dream big.
james

Sadly, I'm seeing this more and more.

Then add on, be on-call 24/7. I saw a job posting recently that was in the low $100k range, you'd cover some pretty big projects etc. Then it added, be on-call 24/7... LOL, for the rest of my life? No thanks.

Geez - that all? Few other big brands missing - they will have to add them to thee list!!! LOL

Perhaps I ought to apply, done all those PLC's Except smart valve + done many more.
All those HMI's + Many more
Some servo's but not many
Vision yes but none of those
Robotics not much exposure
Data Acquisition, yes many but none of those
VB, C, C++, Delphi & Pascal, Assembler.
Many Scada systems.
Many companies put the ultimate requirements but I bet they rarely get a candidate with that type of exposure and settle for far less.
On second thoughts I'm retired so won't be applying......

Sadly, I'm seeing this more and more.

Then add on, be on-call 24/7. I saw a job posting recently that was in the low $100k range, you'd cover some pretty big projects etc. Then it added, be on-call 24/7... LOL, for the rest of my life? No thanks.

This sounds like my job.... Is there something I don't know yet? Wait, salary is to high, never mind.

Not uncommon to see similar here... i think the common line is "Must have experience with the Big Four... Rockwell, Schneider, Siemens, insert other brand here". Often also want a registered electrician and a software expert in one.

Must be happy to travel on the odd occasion... expect to be home one weekend a month.

Must participate in an on-call roster... Although we don't have one, so you'll have to figure that out as part of your job... but all your colleagues are as new as you and there's no time allocated to learning anyone else's stuff.

I think unless you work for a company that specializes in automation, you'll always get the short straw.