How to set up gear ratio in Indramat DriveTop?

wendaiyu

Hi, guys, how are you?

If we want to install a new/different gearbox on the line, could you tell us where and how to set up gear ratio in Indramat DriveTop?

Thanks.

DriveTop.jpg

If the screenshot is the actual settings of a working system, I find the wording misleading. It looks to me like a 30.1592 speed increase which I doubt is the case.
10000 revolutions of input gear N1 equals 301592 revolutions of output gear N2?

Yes, the input/output revolutions set the gear ratio of the system the motor is driving. Although, if they are not monitoring the position limit, as you would for infinite 1 direction travel, I suppose it wouldn't matter much. However, the screen shot indicates absolute position data format so the numbers are a little "weird".

Last edited:
If the screenshot is the actual settings of a working system, I find the wording misleading. It looks to me like a 30.1592 speed increase which I doubt is the case.
10000 revolutions of input gear N1 equals 301592 revolutions of output gear N2?

I noticed that too Steve. If you throw a factor of 2*PI in there you get to and even 4.8?

2*PI is the conversion factor between radians and revolutions, but it applies to both gears and the label has the same units (revolutions) for the N1 and N2 gears. I'd be clicking that "Help" button for guidance on filling in the fields.

Thanks a lot, guys.

The values in screenshot are original as using 10:1 ration gearbox.

Now we have one 50:1 ration gearbox, so Where and How can we set up parameters for it? (HELP function is not installed, crying...)

Thanks again.

I'm guessing here but I suspect this is a belt driven actuator. If that's true what the original programmer REALLY should have done was entered N1=10, N2=1 and k=301.592. That would have made your life much easier now. You would have simply been able to enter N1=50 and you would be good to go. As it is now both the gear ratio and the feed constant are wrapped together into the gear ratio fields (N1:N2).

Keith

Curious as to why you're replacing a 10:1 gear ratio with a 50:1. That will slow down travel by a factor of five and increase the torque at the drive gear by the same factor. Be careful you don't strip gear teeth if you ever drive the load against a hard stop.

Originally posted by wendaiyu:

But there is No belt on the line, the gear connects to the rail directly.

Conceptually that is the same thing, interestingly enough.

I think you have two choices. You can either break this apart and enter it the way it should have been entered in the first place or you can modify N1 to get where you need to go with the existing messed up data entry.

Option 1, enter everything the way it should be assuming the 50:1 reducer:
N1 = 50
N2 = 1
k = 301.592

Option 2, hack N1 to get the overall feed you want assuming the 50:1 reducer:
N1 = 50000
N2 = 301592
k = 1

Either way you end up where you need to be. its just that Option 1 is a more direct reflection of the physical system, thus less confusing presumably.

By the way, 301.591 should be the drive gear circumference at the pitch diameter in millimeters. This would be a gear with a pitch diameter of about 96mm.

Keith

Thanks a lot, guys.

But there is No belt on the line, the gear connects to the rail directly.

It sounds like you have a servo motor with a gear box. Then the output of the gear box is a pinion that interfaces with a rack.

If this is correct, do you have the data for the rack and pinion gear. I guess, really only the pitch diameter of pinion gear would be required.