finding rung comments

ford50killa

Hello All,

I am in need of some assistance. I am new to PLCs and trying to figure some things out. I know with RS 5000 it stores all your descriptions in the processor. However in RS 500 it does not. I have an older version of the program file that has the rung comments and descriptions. When I open this file it shows them, the sub routines labels and everything. However when i try to go online with it, it gives me this message(see image with screenshot.) It is a 5/05 processor. I am trying to make backups of the programs with the rung comments and symbols. I can go online with the processor and upload the current program but it doesn't have the descriptions. Do any of you have any idea how I can solve this issue?

rs image.PNG

Open your older version of the program and go to tools > Database > ASCII Export. Export all the files then in the new one import them.

Thank you Sir. I first learned with Logixpro over 12 years ago. I haven't been active in PLC for about 10 years so I have forgot many things. That is exactly what I needed. Next I get to figure out how to backup the HMI files next. :) Wish me luck.

Or you can upload a processor image and when the box prompts you to "create a new file"
or "brows" choose brows and locate a file you want to merge (an older version with descriptions)It will automatically add the descriptions from old file to upload.

Some old copy of RSLogix had an RSLinx driver (probably an AB Ethernet IP driver) that someone named "WD73" (instead of usual "AB_ETHIP-1").

Your copy of RSLinx does not have a driver with this name. Thus the error

But no matter. Your first step is to set up RSLinx so that it can see your PLC. It appears that your PLC is at 10.110.98.140. Your PC needs to be on the same subnet, and able to at least ping the PLC. In RSLinx, either add or configure an AB Ethernet or AB Ethernet IP driver.

If using the AB Ethernet driver, add the PLC IP address to the Station Map.
If using the AB Ethernet IP driver, it "should" just find it, eventually.

Use the RSWho in RSLinx (NOT in RSLogix -- yet) to verify that RSLinx sees the PLC.

Only after you get RSLinx talking, then go back to your RSLogix program with all the annotation. Rather than using the "OFFLINE" pulldown on the online toolbar, or the "Go Online" option from the Communication menu, select "Who Active" from the Communication menu, then browse through and select your SLC.

Before you click "Go Online" or "Upload", check the box for something like "Use this path in the future" (I don't have the SLC software -- this is from memory, which is always suspect).

After you upload, save your program, and you should have all the documentation as well as the latest and greatest code.

Good luck!
You'll