PLC-5 Partial Download Experience?

Flopro

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a PLC-5 program offline that I've modified several files on - adding rungs or branches to rungs. No data table creation or expansion nor COMM channel changes etc. Only rung additions and edits.

I've always had the ability to download entire programs with most clients or had a limited number of edits so online editing wasn't much of a hassle. However, this PLC-5 is DH+ and I'm connected through a CLGX Gateway via Ethernet to a DH+ network so the online latency is severe.

I would like to use the Partial Download feature in RSLogix 5 (Ver. 8) but have never used it before. I am gun shy since this PLC-5 controls the U.V. Lamps on channels performing the final disinfectant on a 31MGD effluent stream. Faulting or unexpectedly shutting down the process creates an event that requires reports being sent to the State Water Resources Board as a violation as well as the EPA/Fish & Game folks because of a sucker fish habitat and that isn't pretty. This would only be a Partial Download of the 5 modified "Program Files" (subroutines) and selected within the Partial Download setup tabs.

I called A-B Tech Support but there's no one there with any experience on the PLC-5 Platform that could help me out with any insight into a Partial Download. The Help Files are short on any depth. So, since I'm a daily visitor and always find great bits of information from others experiences for many years here on PLCS.net; I thought the community might be helpful when it comes to advice or pitfalls to be aware of when using the Partial Download feature in RSLogix 5. If worse comes to worse, I may just begin performing online edits to accomplish the program modification. That's the best A-B could suggest since they didn't know how to ensure there wouldn't be a problem in RUN Mode with a Partial Download.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks.