FactoryTalk and non existing I/O module?

Ruskied

FactoryTalk with tag displays that are connected to a non existing module or non configured module usually displays a bunch of question marks. Is there a way to display some text (like "check module connection/configuration") instead of those question marks?? I've tried just about everything in the last few months.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Double-check the addresses you are using in FactoryTalk View. Is this a pre-made "faceplate" ?

If the module does not exist in the I/O tree then the tags won't exist in the controller.

But if the module exists in the controller, no matter what condition the module is in, the tag values can still be read by FactoryTalk.

I'm unaware of any Module-Defined Tag that goes to a "not a number" or unreadable value when the I/O connection breaks or is inhibited, though I'm willing to learn !

I'm actually using an emulator to test a program. All modules are faulted but only those in the module configured read only have question marks. If I change to module connection type to read/write, the question marks go away.

My intention is to show a text instead of question marks, to help the user understand the issue while he/she testing the program with the emulator. The module in question does show up in the studio nav tree, it's just not configured.