CLX Messaging Questions

MDavidson

I am setting up a connection between a SLC5/05 and a CLX processor (First Time CLX user). I have read through several different AB manuals and while most of it sort of makes sense I do have a couple of questions. I am uncertain about the message type, in some spots in the manuals they suggest using SLC Typed Read/Write and in other spots they recommend CIP, I have not seen any clear description for which to use under which circumstances. The other question is the description they give for the conversion from INT to DINT makes very little sense to me. I should probably mention that I am more familiar with Omron than with AB's instruction set.

Thanks Mike

You may not have a choice of message type. I have an older version of Logix500. That version won't let me select a CIP message type. So your 5/05 may not support CIP. It's possible none of the 5/05's support CIP.

If all of the messages will be triggered by the CLX processor you won't need to do anything special. You should be able to route through the Ethernet bridge right to your processor. Use the SCL message type and enter data as you see fit.

If you want to message from a SLC to a CLX you will need to set up some data mapping to equate the SLC file based queries (N7, F8, B3, etc) to arrays in the CLX. Do this under 'Map PLC/SLC Messages' in the Logic pulldown menu in L5K. If the SLC data type is an integer make the array an INT array. If the SLC data type is a float, use a float array.

Keith

I had intended for all of the messaging to be initiated by the CLX processor (both read and write), the CLX is acting as a data concentrator for the SLC to a Wonderare package being done by others.