IM151-8 PN/DP / ET 200S Questions

Pete_S

Hi,

I am looking to procure an ET 200S with a IM151-8 PN/DP module to perform some testing and potentially enhance our product and I was hoping some users that have experience with this hardware could answer some questions for me:

1) Is my understanding that this is a turn key piece of hardware correct?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-6E...AOSwvTpaH4qO:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!02118!US!-1

2) My understanding is the most common user story with this hardware is as a Remote I/O drop. My research shows that the IM151 module in essence has a S7-314 CPU. Do any users know if TCP/IP communication to the S7-314 possible through the ET-200 ethernet ports in this user story, IE so an OPC server with a Siemens driver could hit the module directly rather than through the parent S7 controller that has this hardware configured as a Profinet node?

3) Does answer to #2 change if the programming is done in Step 7 Classic vs TIA Portal?

Thanks!

Last edited:
1. ET200S and SP are remote IO.
- Both have IM (interface modules) and also CPU modules
IM151-8 is full CPU (basically 3xx series if you look specs, it is on different package and have less memory. CPU have profinet and profibus is possible with separate DP card

-If you have only IM module, then you need some separate CPU for controlling remote IO Modules
(Profibus or profinet both works, but there are different IM modules for these)
- If you have CPU module from ET200s range, then OPC is possible like on 300 series

Pete
That is a cpu
You can program it with Step 7 or TIA Portal
From the pic, you will need some IO though
Either profinet or IO modules that mount on the right side of the cpu

Pete
That is a cpu
You can program it with Step 7 or TIA Portal
From the pic, you will need some IO though
Either profinet or IO modules that mount on the right side of the cpu

I am only interested in validating ability to access PLC tags and DB's that reside on the 314 CPU using a Siemens TCP/IP driver connecting to an OPC server, I don't actually need I/O as im just banging bits not running any real process. So sounds like if I ensure the protection setting are such to allow PUT/GET messaging (TIA Portal Programming) then I should be able to communicate directly through the E200 rJ45 ports?