Quick Devicenet Question

DaveZR2

Lifetime Supporting Member
When going "Online" with a running Devicenet network using RSNetworx through a 1770-KFD, will all physically connected nodes appear?

I was under the impression that they would. However, I'm trying to access a network with 15-20 nodes, and only 2-3 devices appear when going online.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, all the connected nodes should respond to queries to their Identity objects. You don't have to configure the driver to tell it which devices to attempt to contact.

The KFD driver is relatively slow; it queries one node, then tries again a few times, before moving on to query the next node. So be patient the first time you try to browse the network.

Bad signal quality might be one reason that devices aren't showing up.

Or, the devices might not be built with a DeviceNet stack that can walk and chew gum at the same time. Some early/cheap devices could participate in an I/O connection or communicate with a configuration tool, but not both at the same time.

+1 to that,

but I also discovered from a Rockwell engineer who came to assist on a similar issue, that
1) if the 24V DC power supply is not "devicenet" standard, then you could have nodes dropping out.
2) if you put the PLC (PLC5 with 1771-SDN and 8 SEW Inverters in my case) into program mode, then you have a better chance of getting a stable network.