Access Denied - The Security Feature must be enabled to perform this operation

PeeLC

I am trying to open a project file in RSLogix 5000 V20.04.00 (CPR 9 SR 5). This is what I get in the help:

Access denied
Check to make sure that you have read/write privileges to the file. Check with your Security Administrator to be sure you have access to the file.

I already have read/write privileges in windows, so I don't know what the issue might be. Any help is appreciated.

-PLC

Last edited:
Can't run as the administrator, it's a work computer and I just started not too long.

Software version added in header.
Thanks!
-PLC

You're going to need to have Administrator privileges for so many things in this field, you may as well start whatever process is required by your IT group to make that happen.

All version of RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 on my computer will instantly crash if I do not "Run as Administrator". Also, just creating drivers in RSLinx requires admin privileges.

I have a handful of other oddball software programs that don't run or have quirks that require them to be run as administrator.

OkiePC said:
You're going to need to have Administrator privileges for so many things in this field, you may as well start whatever process is required by your IT group to make that happen...

You're not long started in your new role and depending on whatever IT policies may be in place, I'm not sure if this process would be possible for you - I would recommend purchasing a stand-alone workstation machine(s) for your automation duties, not included on the IT register of company machines. This way you would have full administrator privileges and control of which software may be installed. Again, if permitted to do such a thing.

Our company machines are leased on a 2 year rolling contract with Hewlett-Packard. I have 2 for business use and even though permitted, I don't put anything automation related near them or on them. Too many updates and interferences outside my control. Also, if I did, it would be a right pain every 2 years starting afresh reinstalling everything just the way you like it.

I have 3 HP workstations for Rockwell "everything" and 1 Dell for Siemens (plus an old PG 620). They were purchased separately and are "ours" - no lease agreement with of course full admin privileges. Beyond day to day duties, no one else touches these with regards their install base, updates or configuration.

So the business machines never touch the automation infrastructure and the workstations never touch the enterprise network.

The only problem now is most days I've no room left on my desk!

Regards,
George

The only problem now is most days I've no room left on my desk!

I have one PC for the IT stuff....which has 2 24" monitors, so that I can email and t'internet and stuff.

I also have two "modern" laptops on my desk. My desk is like a control console....

One laptop is online to the plant for PLC programming and monitoring and runs a virtual machine.
The other is for non-virtual machine tasks like drawings, MSoffice and Database stuff, as we do not want to clog up the virtual machine with extra software (the guy that built the VM complained when I added RSLogix500 to mine, as it is necessary for a few PLCs on site).
I also have 2 older laptops in the "man-cave" with real serial ports for the Panelviews, as well as a dodgy Windows7 laptop for local testing only.
All our Industrial Network PCs are under our control, with full administrator rights,for the reasons given previously.

IT suggested to us that we go round the plant and update Windows and Anti-Virus on the PCs on our Industrial Network - oh, how we laughed...!!!
We have no direct internet connection, Windows NT, 2000, XP, 7 etc etc, some OS in German..

That all sounds about right John.

Had 3 23" monitors but down to 2 now. IT took one that was leased which I had sneaked off someone else's desk who had left the company some time ago. I have my "eye" on another one now though!

Yes, I forgot to mention the Internet - the workstation machines are never plugged directly on to the Internet. We cannot connect them in work anyway as the machines are not registered by IT, so either way they would not have access to our Intranet or the Internet. But even if I had a workstation machine at home to do some automation work I would never connect them to the Internet wired or wirelessly.

In work, for the business machines, all our hard drives are encrypted (BitLocker) and require a PIN before the machine will load Windows 10. So too are any USB drives encrypted before we can write to them. So sensitive data cannot be accidentally lost or fall into the wrong hands while travelling. We get all our automation software updates via the Internet on the business machines and transfer them via encrypted USB thumb drives to the workstations. We unlock them on the workstations and transfer the files.

So IT policies have actually helped us ensure that the only way we can update our workstation machines is true encrypted transfers from the Internet.

But for the OP - In my opinion, and experience, Information Technology (IT) and Operational Technology (OT) should never meet where there has not already been an IT/OT convergence strategy agreed. The longer established IT will usually always "win out" in these circumstances, enforcing their strict policies and, whether intentionally or not, impede the development of the OT infrastructure.

G.

Last edited: