Question about bit tags or comments

I tried searching but I came up empty handed, maybe it was the way I worded it. Anyways, I’m very meticulous about how I label all of my instructions. Mostly because I’m the one troubleshooting if there are problems. Whenever I download a program, unplug, and then come back later my tags are gone. Is there an option to display the tags by default when I open the program? Surely they’re not lost forever?

I’m using RSLogix500.

I guess to save memory space? That’s a bummer, makes me never want to close the program on my computer until I know the program is good. Thanks for the insight. I guess you could always just redownload the program on startup that way you can continue working with the tags.

You should be able to open the program in RSLogix500 and then select go online this way you keep your comments.

Another way is to export the comments to file and the open RSLogix500 and go online by uploading the program (from the PLC) and importing the saved comments.

Alan.

With RSLogix5000 from version 21 you can save the comments to the processor.

When the SLC range of PLC's were first made memory was expensive

Last edited:
When you go online, if the file you already have open matches the file in the PLC, then it just happens and there is no problem. If the file you have open does not match, you will be prompted to create a new file (which will not have your comments) or browse to find the right file at which point you can upload and merge the program in the PLC with your chosen file so that you can keep the comments available.

There are certain situation where the file should match, but the software will make you go through the upload and merge step anyway, like if someone else went online and made a temporary edit and tested it, then took it out...that alters the "last edit timestamp". I think there are other cases with certain models of PLC where if parts of the data tables change, the software will insist on performing a complete upload.