Logix Designer v23 and Windows 10?

CapinWinky

I've just walked into a situation where a customer is doing a new machine in v23 and they actually provided me a laptop with v23 installed on Windows 10 Pro x64.

It won't open. I get the splash screen and then it just goes away. No error message or anything.

Same result if no matter how I run it, Studio 5000 Launcher to open or create a new project, double clicking .acd file, manually running LogixDesigner.EXE in Win7 compatibility mode from:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Logix Designer\ENU\v23\Bin

I would do a Win7Pro x64 VM to run it (officially listed as compatible), but I don't have access to the v23 install files (I don't have a Rockwell license, hence the customer laptop)

V24, 30, and 31 all opened fine. I ended up giving up and tracking down their IT guy and he just pulled a Win7 laptop out of a big stack and I'm in business. He said he was going to tinker with the Win10 laptop to see if he could get v23 running on it, so I'll report back if it works.

EDIT: As far as why they are doing a project in v23, just a random demand of their customer, probably because that was when they stopped paying for Rockwell licenses.

Along with trying the above, set the User Account Control setting to a minimum.

I promise guys, I tried and then their IT guy tried. Rockwell lists v23 as only compatible with Win7Pro x64 and Win7Home x32 and nothing else and I'm starting to believe that's just the case.

The IT guy in this case is for a very large OEM with a lot of controls engineers and knows his way around jumping through Rockwell's hoops; it's not some end user plant in the woods/desert/corn somewhere. I just happened to be hastily issued a Win10pro laptop to help out on short notice and no one bothered to check if the version they were actually using would work since v31 opened up just fine.