Wonderware WindowViewer Change App

richardwal

Alright, I've muddled around for a bit and will throw this one out to the collective. I'm trying to give the ability to change applications from within WindowViewer. For example, I have an HMI that normally is used to operate a palletizer app, I would like to be able to switch from the palletizer app to a conveyor app. (I understand the examples given should really coexist in an application, it is purely an example.) I'd rather not have our folks exit out of view to start the other app, only to have to exit out to return to the original app. Shortcuts on the desktop are too easily moved/removed, but may end up being the ultimate solution.

Any thoughts?

Richard

In the palletizer application, import the screens for the conveyor application, add all the tags from the conveyor app to the palletizer app..... Do you see where I'm going. In other words you are going to create one big application that has the screens from from both applications. You will have to point the tags to look at the different access name that you make for the different applications, and do the proper setup in SMC, as well as making sure the 2 plc's are physically connected (I use Moxa ethernet switches). Then add a button to the wonderware app on the palletizer that access the main screen for the conveyor app.

This is all actually very easy, and my expanation is not even close to being in detail. We do it on many of our applications.

That is one of our current options. Unfortunately, the scale of the project is a bit larger than the two applications. We are currently at ~10 different applications, and growing. Luckily not all 10 need access to all of the other apps. From a maintanance perspective, it's much nicer to have each application separate. From the end-user's perspective, the "monster" app makes life much easier. The monster app may be our final outcome once all the new applications become a bit more static. Development is still continuing on a few.

Thanks for your input
Richard

That is one of our current options

Personally, I think it is the best option.

Unfortunately, the scale of the project is a bit larger than the two applications.

How large are you talking, how many tags/screens?

Luckily not all 10 need access to all of the other apps.

Configure a login page with the 10 selections, only op's with the correct privilege levels can access their areas.

From a maintenance perspective, it's much nicer to have each application separate.

I disagree here, if you are developing/backing up, it can all be done in one place, then distributed to the other clients. What sort of architecture do you have, are all PC's on the same network?
You could also allow certain privileges that gives access to all areas, so that you can access any item of plant from anywhere within your site/network.

Just my 10c worth

If you can't do the above, then one option is to install the 2 apps on 2 different pc and kvm them. You can also try VMWare or other virtual operating systems and run 2 copies of Intouch on the same PC.

Lastly, if you want to do it as stated in your op, you still can. The key lies in the win.ini file under your os windows folder. Look for the variable "ApplicationDirectory" under the section Intouch which points to the current application path. Intouch has scripts that you use to modify this file as well as restart View or you can write a simple vb app to execute these tasks as well.

To help paint the picture of my current situation....the environment we are talking about is Intouch in a Terminal Services environment, a handful of servers, and ~12 PLC's many of which maintining their own remote I/O networks with remote racks. The network currently only includes new projects and is at about 50% completion. Existing infrastructure will be incorporated as time permits and will dwarf the new projects about tenfold.

Just did a quick window count on the first five applications and have 172 windows. Most unique, some duped between apps(certain popups, etc..). Most of the applications are still in development, if they were all complete and pretty static I'd seriously consider importing into a master application at this time. Unfortunately, some are quite a bit more complete than others. Thus my interest in being able to hop from app to app without combining all into a master application.

I truly appreciate any and all opinions/suggestions that have been provided.

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited: