RSLinx communication problem

ashley

Hi,

Trying to go online to a SLC 5/04 processor. When I run RSLinx and auto configure, the auto-configuration is successful. i can see the processor as node 01 in the RSLinx window. There is no red cross or any comm. error.
Now, when i run RSLogix500, Comms --> System comms and try to go online to the processor i get a message saying "Target device is not a SLC500 or MicroLogix". Tried the RS232 port and the DH+ port but I get the same message.
I have RSLinx version 2.2 and RSLogix 500 version 3.0, I know it is not the latest version but I have other reasons for not upgrading, although I don't think the software version is the problem.

Any inputs regarding this problem. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Make sure the processor you are trying to access and the program proc. are the same ,it sounds something like this could be happening.
Also make sure the comms channel in your program is the same.

There is a good 'ol method that I use to go online often (I lost some trust in the "comms>who active go on line" method)

1. Start RSLinx manually, verify that you can see the node you are trying to go online with.
  2. Open RSLogix 500
  3. Go to "Tools>Options"
  4. Click on "system communications" tab
  5. Under current settings use drop down to find AB-DF1
  6. Type in node (in this case "1")
  7. Click OK
  8. Now, back on the empty RSLogix 500 screen go to the online toolbar and drag the offline pull down to "go online"
    [/list=1]

This will work quite easily, unless you are trying to connect with a remote node.

Also Ashley what is the firmware version of your 5/04 processor. I think the version of firm ware might not be supported by RSLogix 3.00
(maybe). To test this, create a new project and see if the processor with the OS is available in your list of processors.
Regards Alan

Alan's right. This is your problem:

ashley said:
I have RSLinx version 2.2 and RSLogix 500 version 3.0

RSLinx is new enough to recognize the OS Series (probably 'C') as well as OS version (probably 4.01) of the SLC. Your RSLogix is not. Since it doesn't recognize the SLC's version (even though it might be able to program the firmware or OS number), it assumes that what it is being asked to communicate with is not a SLC, or
Target device is not a SLC500 or MicroLogix

You've got to ugrade. Sorry.

But SaveAs your project to a .ACH file, and you can keep downward compatibility.

Very likely Alan is correct and the software version is the problem, Ashley. RSLogix 500 checks both the processor type code and the program checksum when going online, and the message "not a SLC-500 or MicroLogix" indicates it's returned a type code that isn't in the program's listing.

SLC-5/03, /04, and /05 processors started shipping with an enhanced operating system last summer, called the "Series C" operating system (dumb name, I know, it's a long story). Any version of RSLogix 500 prior to 4.50 will get that error if your SLC-500 is new.

Go into RSLinx, start an RSWho window, browse to the SLC-5/04, right-click and select Station Diagnostics. If only the Total Packets Received and Total Packets Sent counters are incrementing, then you know that communications isn't your problem and you should look at the software revision more closely.

RSLogix 500 version 3.01 was released 25 February, 1999. It was a Major Release, incorporating numerous repairs and enhancements as well as the first support of the MicroLogix 1000 w/Analog, MicroLogix 1500, and SLC-5/05 controllers.

It should support SLC-5/04 controllers with OS400 or OS401, but not OS401 Series C. Your processor label should tell you what you've got.

The software version may certainly be the problem ...
but sometimes this works for me:

Try to UPLOAD instead of GOing ONLINE ...

Good luck.

Guys, thanks for all your replies.

Most of you have hit the nail on the head. The SLC 5/04 had a series C firmare and RSLogix 500 version 3.0 doesn't support it. Upgraded to RSLogix 500 version 5.2 and voila! no problems at all.

Although I did figure out the problem before reading any of the replies, I must say that this a great site. Getting so many replies within a day of posting a problem is really amazing.

Once again, thanks for the help guys/gals(we need more of them on this site) and keep up the good work.