SLC5/05 Connection Question/Problem

Aabeck

I rarely come across machines at a customers shop with a SLC5/05 in it, however I have a new customer that has 2.

I can connect through RSLinx through DF-1, with a built in serial port, to one of them immediately.

On the 2nd one I have tried DF1 Autoconfig & manually set all settings possible; I have tried the UIC with & without a null modem adapter on the serial cable; and I have tried the Ethernet driver, but do not know the IP address of the 5/05. No matter what I do I can not get RSLinx to see this CPU.

I have RSLinx version 3.70.

Remembering back, I had a 5/05 I never was able to connect to last year.

Is there some other setting/method used on 5/05's?

I rarely come across machines at a customers shop with a SLC5/05 in it, however I have a new customer that has 2.

I can connect through RSLinx through DF-1, with a built in serial port, to one of them immediately.

On the 2nd one I have tried DF1 Autoconfig & manually set all settings possible; I have tried the UIC with & without a null modem adapter on the serial cable; and I have tried the Ethernet driver, but do not know the IP address of the 5/05. No matter what I do I can not get RSLinx to see this CPU.

I have RSLinx version 3.70.

Remembering back, I had a 5/05 I never was able to connect to last year.

Is there some other setting/method used on 5/05's?

Serial port is set to something other than DF1 then.
Do you have a backup of the program?
If SLC 5/05 IP has been configured, then an option is reset CPU back to default. Remove battery and allow capacitor to discharge

If the serial port is set to 485 then the UIC should connect to it, right?

The customer doesn't have a copy of the program, that's one of the things he wants me to provide, adding as many descriptions for IO & other instructions I can figure out, along with a couple of changes to the program.

I can't reset the CPU back to default until I have saved an uploaded program to disc. This isn't a small program that I could wipe the PLC & write my own version of quickly.

If an hmi is on the ethernet network with it. You could open up its options and find out the subnet Ip addresses. Also maybe there is a tool to sniff out active Ip address on the network.

DwSoFT:

From my understanding a direct CAT5 cable connection should work without a switch or router. And the one I couldn't connect to last year had a switch, HMI & network connection, but still couldn't connect to it through the Ethernet or the serial port.

Last edited:
If connecting direct to the SLC's Ethernet port you need a crossover cable. See page 13-23 of pdf below.

Mickey, thanks for the PDF. I will take a switch to the customers shop & try that tomorrow. Here's hoping...

But still wondering about connecting through the serial port, whether it is configured for RS-232 through a serial port, or DH-485 through a UIC.

Mickey,

If it's MODBUS I'll need a MODBUS adapter won't I?

If it's ASCII how do I do thaat?

Modbus is a protocol not an electrical spec. But if the port is configured for one of those protocols, you will have to communicate thru the Ethernet port to use RSLogix500.
If there is nothing connected to the serial port then there is a good chance it is not configured for those protocols.

If it's Modbus you can't use it to connect to the controller; SLC-5/05 controllers can only do Modbus RTU Master messaging and you cannot access the controller memory via a Modbus RTU port.

If it's ASCII, the controller can only read and write text strings using ASCII instructions. You cannot access controller memory via an ASCII port.

It could even be Disabled.

My approach would be to connect to the Ethernet port and try the BOOTP/DHCP utility to assign an address to it.

If it's not set for BOOTP/DHCP, you can probably still use Wireshark to sniff out the IP address of the controller, because it will send out ARP packets that include its IP address.