Downloading change to S7 PLC in memory card

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello people,
I have question regarding download of Step 7 program to S7-300 PLC.
Program is placed on memory card (I think 256 KB, but that is not really matter here). We figured out that we need change of some program's parameters, PLC's switch is placed in Run-P mode, parameters in data blocks are changed, and DB's are downloaded to PLC. That worked fine.
However, recently I found out that there is potential problem, memory reset is performed (switch into M-Res position...) and program is loaded from MC card. It seems that all previous changes are lost, and when DBs are downloaded in Run-P mode, those changes are not saved in MC.
My question is how to save changes to MC also, so next time when PLC is reset, changes are in program loaded from MC?
I'm not sure should I use copy RAM to ROM or Save to memory Card.

Does PLC needs to be in STOP mode when performing this operation?

Thank you

CPu is 315-2 DP, and MC card is 256 KB, I don't have it's informations right now. I'll post it later.

Depends on the memory card, you probably find that your type of card need to be stored using the download to memory card option.

If CPU has switch with RUN-P position then it's older version with slot for FLASH EPROM or RAM memory module (not new one with MMC). You can download only full program to memory card (FLASH) on this CPU and during this operation CPU has to be in STOP mode.
With "Download user program to memory card" option you're loading contents of your project (offline) to memory card in CPU including DB initial/actual values stored on the PG.
When executing "Copy RAM to ROM", entire contents of PLC RAM memory are copied to MC.

Hi,

Use copy RAM to ROM while putting PLC in stop mode...I have used this feature and my memory card was updated with the latest program.

Oki, memory card is MC 951 /256 KB/ 5V Flash.
Just to be sure, I need to stop PLC and to chosse copy from Ram to Rom, right?

Yes you have to stop PLC. If you choose "copy ram to rom" Step7 will ask you for stopping the CPU and if you answer yes it will stop and execute this operation.