DLM4000/4100 Data Link Inc Industrial modems

Alex5248

Hi PLC Wizards,

Before almost week I sent e-mail shown down to [email protected] (Data Linc Inc.) www.data-linc.com. I had couple of notices and questions to them. Till now I do not have answer. Can someone to advice if have experience with their products DLM4000 and DLM4100. I have to order one to use for remote monitoring and programming of system for Automatic Control consist from PLC GE-FANUC and HMI server and station. The connection is done through HMI server.

Kind regards
Alexandar Iotzov

[email protected]

Sir/Madam,

The information in your website regarding dial-up modems DLM4000 and DLM4100 is raising some questions.

Please see the table bellow.
There is copied information from Data Linc website and booklets published on Internet.

===========================================================
Specifications
-----------------------------------------------------------
Interface
DLM4000
-
DLM4100
Telephone Line. Modular TELCO, RJ-11
DTE/Other Equipment. TIA RS232, DCE, DB9 female
Protocol. Asynchronous
------------------------------------------------------------

Connections
DLM4000
Standard. Rear mounted, DB5 female
Optional. Two position AE485 or four position RS422 (AE485 and AE422 Auto Enable are RS485/422 compatible)

DLM4100
Standard. Front mounted, DB9 female
Optional. Rear mounted, two position AE485 (AE485 is RS485 compatible) or four position RS422

--------------------------------------------------------------
Power
DLM4000
Standard. Wall mount power supply, 110/120 VAC to 9 VAC, 800 mA
Optional. 24 VDC (user supplied) power interface, two position terminal block. 24 VDC, 300 mA
DLM4100

Standard. Wall mount power supply, 110/120 VAC to
12 VDC, 800 mA
Optional. 24 VDC (user supplied) power interface,
two position terminal block. 24 VDC, 300 mA

---------------------------------------------------------------
===============================================================

1. In DLM4000 description for Connections maybe you have error. On one booklet you printed DB25 female, on the website you published DB5 which is obviously wrong. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t know standard DB5?

2. In DLM4000 interface item is missing description of Interface. Obviously DLM4100 is connected to the phone line by RJ-11 jacks (it is not mentioned are they 1 or 2 RJ-11 jacks. But how the DLM4000 is connected (how DLM4000 interfacing) to the phone lines and are there two connection.

3. If you want to follow the terminology adopted from Cannon which invented D-subminiature connectors you have to use DE-9F (which is D subminiature connector with 9 pin shell size and 9 female pins body. DB is acceptable only for 25 pins D-subminiature connector.

4. Please advice for the wall mounted PS type. Which polarity of the plug is applicable with the Modems listed above?

Kind Regards

Alexandar Iotzov

Electrical Engineer M.Sc.

Fax 905 308 7746

Last edited:
First, be sure you sent your message to Data-Linc.com, not Data-Link.com.

1. The reference to the "DB5" is clearly a typographical error. The document intends to refer to the very common "DB25" serial connector. I have used these modems and know that they have ordinary DB25 female connectors.

2. The photo of the DLM-4100 shows only one RJ-11 jack. The user manual for the DLM-4000 to show that it does have two; one for the line, one for a phone handset.

3. No matter what you do, most people will call a DE-9F connector a "DB9", the same as they'll call an EIA-232D circuit "RS-232". I'll bet that maybe 1 person a year points out the inaccuracy of the "DB9" description, but that a hundred would call to have "DE-9F" explained to them.

I don't understand the last question. I don't think polarity matters on the AC side of most "wall-wart" supplies.

It might also matter what protocol you intend to use. I have not used a GE controller with a modem, but I understand that the SNP serial protocol can be difficult to transmit with modems. You might have better luck with Modbus. I don't know which protocols your controller and HMI server support.

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the reply. You are right. I checked and I sent it to data-linc.com. For DB5 It is clear that it is typo. But my opinion is that when publish something on Internet it has to be clear. It is not coming immediately. But the users of the web are always helpful. I do not have any information for the Interface of the DLM4000 as well for the protocol. For DLM4100 Data Linc shows Protocol. Asynchronous. What about DLM4000? It is good that they have two RJ-11 on DLM4000. The polarity of the plug from DC side is important. Different manufacturers put in the centre + on the overall -. But some of them manufactured it opposite. Centre hole of the DC plug pin is – and + is connected to the overall of the pin. I completely agree with you about DB-9 and DE-9 usage in common spoken technical jargon and I do not have a problem with both of them as well as for EIA-232D circuit and RS232. But it is interesting if the plug is for serial connection is 25 pins a lots of the manufacturer are used RS232C. I’m thinking that the publications have to stick to the terminology listed in the standards. It will make all information to be the same everywhere.

However Thanks for your information. It is so helpful.

Kind regards

Alex