Small Rockwell rant. Why arent the PnP drivers installed when RSLinx is installed ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
This is another "Rockwell policy funny".

I just spent an hour of my weekend giving phone support to one of our guys on a mission in rural india (he called me with his mobile phone, I dont want to know what it cost).
The problem as it turned out: Everything was setup and tested fine on his PC, except he hadn't used the PCMK card before on that machine.
One should think that with an installed RSLinx, he shall just insert his PCMK card, the drivers will be found and install automatically and he can go on with using the PCMK card. Not so appearantly.
For reasons only know to Rockwell Software, the PnP drivers are not installed together with RSLinx. You have to have the RSLinx installation CD when you insert the PCMK card. Something my poor coworker obviously didnt have.
He was lucky he was able to contact me, and that I was able to find the drivers, and he was lucky to find an internet connection. So it was sorted out. But WHY, Rockwell ? This is totally avoidable.

Here is a tip:
Copy everything from the directory "PnP_Drivers" to a CD or memory stick. You may need it when you work with RS software away from home.

Btw. You dont have this problem with Siemens.

PCMCIA slots in laptops are a thing of the past. If it was your way it would be the next guy will start a rant "Why did RA install PCMK drivers with RSLinx when my laptop doesn't have a PCMCIA slot" OR "I don't own a PCMK card?".

No, maybe not that problem with Siemens, but I've had to put with the worst German to English translation gibberish for manuals (if I can find one) or the friggin' worse GUI interface with Step 7. Not to speak of the screwed up EDS files right off the Siemens website.

Every product has gripes with someone.

Last edited:
jstolaruk

Forgive me, but that is a lot of b******t.
I and he need the PCMK card because it is the only card there is for laptops. We paid for all this, and of course we expect that Rockwell Software take care of the correct installation of all software components.

The folder PnP_drivers is a mere 3.4 MB.
It makes a world of difference if you dont have it. Saving me 3.4 MB harddisk is a 'favor' I didnt ask for.

What I hope is that someone from Rockwell Software read this and understand that a customer of theirs was in a trouble, for absolutely no reason. Maybe someone will say "oh, the PnP drivers arent copied over, that is a mistake. It will be corrected in the next release."

The reference to Siemens was just to show that someone else does it differently. If you know me you would have noticed that I often criticise Siemens.

I can understand your frustration. But being out in the field on a critical job is not the time to be installing drivers for the first time. This needs to be tried and tested beforeleaving on a trip. You need to ensure that all your critical equipment is in working order. When on-site is not the time to discover that your equipment isn't working.

Jesper, all the drivers are provided when RsLinx is installed. I hope your not insinuating that they should automatically install every single driver. Nothing annoys me more the when a program installs a bunch of unnecessary things that I don't need cluttering my computer.
ralinxpnp.JPG

JesperMP said:
jstolaruk

Forgive me, but that is a lot of b******t.
I and he need the PCMK card because it is the only card there is for laptops. We paid for all this, and of course we expect that Rockwell Software take care of the correct installation of all software components.

The folder PnP_drivers is a mere 3.4 MB.
It makes a world of difference if you dont have it. Saving me 3.4 MB harddisk is a 'favor' I didnt ask for.

What I hope is that someone from Rockwell Software read this and understand that a customer of theirs was in a trouble, for absolutely no reason. Maybe someone will say "oh, the PnP drivers arent copied over, that is a mistake. It will be corrected in the next release."

The reference to Siemens was just to show that someone else does it differently. If you know me you would have noticed that I often criticise Siemens.

- never mind -

Last edited:
TWControls said:
Jesper, all the drivers are provided when RsLinx is installed.
Not on my PC or my co-workers PC.
Believe me, the files are not there.
RSLinx_files.GIF

TWControls said:
I hope your not insinuating that they should automatically install every single driver. Nothing annoys me more the when a program installs a bunch of unnecessary things that I don't need cluttering my computer.
No. I suggest the necessary files are present on the PC. When one of the cards are inserted in the PC, the driver shall install.

I haven't installed the drivers from a floppy for a long time, but have downloaded them from the site.... Aren't the drivers provided with the hardware???

-MUR