Siemens S7 Configuration Problems

qee

I have just started a new application with a Siemens S7 CPU 313C-2DP processor. I am using Simatic Step 7 software. The first problem is that on my hardware configuration the processor that I have selected is of the type 6CE00-0AB0 (Order No.) but the CPU that’s actually fitted in the control panel is of type 6CE01-0AB0.
On the Step 7 software that I have there is not an option to select this type? The only available 313C-2DP processor that is listed in the drop down is a 6CE00-0AB0 one.

Does this make a difference to my application?
And/Or do I need to update my software (Currently V5.1 Service Pack 6)?

Also I have managed to load OB1 into the processor and go online but I have several FC’s that it won’t let me load. Possible reasons are that there are addresses outside the permitted range etc or the selected processor won’t support certain function types. Does anyone know where the information can be found regarding permitted address types etc or any other reasons why the FC’s cannot be loaded?

Finally one last question!
Because I have been online with OB1 loaded into the PLC does that mean that my selected hardware configuration is correct or can you go online with this being wrong (i.e rack layout etc.)? I know that with Allen Bradley you would not get online if your rack layout is incorrect.

Your help would be appreciated to any of the above questions.
Cheers and thanks for your time,

Qee.

I have the 6CE01-0AB0 in my hardware catalog, so you will need to go online and update your hardware catalog. I don't have a link, but if you try real hard, you should be able to find it on the Siemens site.

And yes, you can still go online even though the hardware configuration is wrong. You can even do online hardware diagnostics, and you will be prompted as to whether you want to upload the configuration or use the saved configuration.

S7Guy wrote:
And yes, you can still go online even though the hardware configuration is wrong. You can even do online hardware diagnostics, and you will be prompted as to whether you want to upload the configuration or use the saved configuration.
Well, you can even do that without having configured hardware at all. Beware: it's not a very good practice, not to say bad practice, but it can be done. S7 of course can't check certain rules without hardware configuration.

Kind regards,

If you want the new version of hardware, you need to upgrade your software. Version 5.2. is current but wait, version 5.3 will be out shortly.

RRobbins,

that's not correct at all! As S7Guy already stated, you can simply add newer hardware from the Hardware Configuration utility. There's a menu-item Options -> Install HW Updates to do it for you. Simply read the help files to know more.

Kind regards,

If that is correct, send me the the hardware update and let me see if I can put it in my version. I am running Step 7 version 5.2 without SP1. I could add SP1 and the new hardware will update. Gee is running version 5.1 SP6. I also have version 5.1 SP6, on another machine. I don't think you can add that newer hardware to the old version of software. Is it worth the risk? You send it, I'll try it with mine, both versions.

RRobbins,

I can't send it to you because it is on the internet and STEP7 goes directly to the correct (I presume) site when you try to upgrade HW. Sorry, but you'll have to try it yourself, as I did. I couldn't check if the CPU mentioned was inserted because I'm already running V5.2 SP1.

Kind regards,

Hello,
Updating your Hardware is only possible from step 7 V5.2 I found this on the site of siemens. Hope this link works http://www4.ad.siemens.de/WW/llisap...bjaction=csview&lang=de&siteid=cseus&from=skm

Otherwise you can go via: www.ad.siemens.de -> support -> service & support and use the find function: ID620615

I was just interested in this, because I was afraid of buying new software, when i could insist with downloading some new hardware. But it seems I had no other possibility.

Cheers, Jarno

Thanks for the info Jarno. I wasn't aware of the imposibility to ugrade hardware catalog on versions prior to V5.2. Since I have an upgrade subscription (in fact: the company does) I don't have the need to download new hardware descriptions. Well, at least I've learned something new.

Kind regards,