Cylinder Control with Festo Valve

backendcode

Hi all,

I have a Festo Valve to control the cylinder, Festo valve ID (E) which means 5/3-way valve, mid-position exhausted, mechanical spring return

This cylinder work as a stopper against the part coming from the conveyor. I extend the cylinder and then part comes in, and once part hit the stopper, then i retract the cylinder. but now the problem is, we want to use this stopper as a shock absorbed

That's what I want, when I will extend my cylinder, and part hits the stopper, cylinder should move to mid position (Retract to mid position by external load (Part)) and then I will retract my cylinder.

Any advice how it will be possible?

Thanks everyone in advance for the help.

A little confused on your application but here are my 2 cents.

If you want a shock absorber, you could fabricate a fixture to the end of the rod of the cylinder with some actual shock absorbers to dampen when the part when it hits.

Next option is to attach reed switches to your cylinder to have a feedback of the position of the cylinder. One for extended, mid, and retracted in your case.

I think I understand what you are trying to do
If is correct it is very completed involving multiple solenoid valves, multiple pressure regulators and very complex piping to connect everything.
Way to complicated to go into in this format.
But it can be done

This is extremely difficult to do and almost impossible with a PLC unless you really know what you are doing.
I have a solution but it is too expensive.
http://deltamotion.com/peter/Videos/PneuMove2.mp4
We have algorithm to do what you want to do but like I said. It is too expensive and setting up the gains is tricky. Pneumatics is a pain in the …. because the friction in the cylinder is never consistent so gains needs to change. The air is not clean and that affect the cylinder friction.
The reason why we test with pneumatics is because if you can control pneumatics then controlling hydraulic cylinders is easy.

You can probably kludge something together that will do what you want but by the time you get done you will spent more in man hours than the hardware and electronics.

Not knowing about the part and speed of approach or how much cushion effect you need, I would suggest you experiment by extending the cylinder, then de-energize both solenoid coils, thus returning the valve to center position. The center position should be open configuration. See how the part moves the cylinder rod. You could add a flow control to regulate speed.

If I understand correctly , you are extending a cylinder above a conveyor to stop parts by making them slide on the conveyor. When you de-power the solenoid , the cylinder retracts under air pressure , allowing the part through .
If this is the case then you could use a 5/3 valve sol / sol with center sealed and use a cylinder switch to detect cylinder out . This deactivates the cylinder out command till the next part . A second valve - 2/2 sol / spring return is then used to vent the pressure from the outstroke side of the cylinder and then close sealing the outstroke pneumatic circuit . When the part comes there is initially no pressure so the cylinder moves in , but since the 5/3 valve is center sealed , the pressure increases providing a damped stop .
If this does not work well enough then active damping quickly becomes complex as Gary posted .

As pal called out, I've seen this with two valves, some flow controls, and pressure regulator(s), pneumatic & hydraulic. Certainly worked better than a heavy product hitting a conveyor stop at full rate.

if I understand your post,

you have a valve with 5 ports.
it is a 3 position valve that is spring return.
when no power is applied to the valve solenoids, the ports a & b exhaust to atmosphere and are free to move.

a specific valve part number would be helpful.

james

if I understand your post,

you have a valve with 5 ports.
it is a 3 position valve that is spring return.
when no power is applied to the valve solenoids, the ports a & b exhaust to atmosphere and are free to move.

a specific valve part number would be helpful.

james

I was thinking about this and wondering if there is any way that the part itself could push the cylinder in when it hits the cylinder. It would be pretty application specific, but might just work. The speed at which the cylinder exhausts could be controlled with a simple cushion.

Depending on the impact force of the part coming down the conveyor, this sounds like an application for a stopper cylinder, something like a Festo DFST.