Fatal Error while opening Rslogix5000 v20.01

Hi all,

I am getting Fatal error while opening Rslogix5000 Software V20.01
and software work properly with V19 & V18 .

give some suggestion to handle Fatal error in rslogix5000 v20.01

Is it happening when you're opening a specific program? Or when you're going online with a specific controller? I ask because I seem to remember something in 20.1 era that it didn't play well with 20.0 or 20.02 and if they were installed together it would crash. I don't currently have tech connect, so I can't directly reference an article. Anyone care to weigh in?

Have you just installed V20.01?

If so, then try an uninstall and re-install and check if any errors come up.

If it has been running before, then try opening a processor file that is V20.01 to see if the error happens then.

RSLogix 5000 V20.04

Hi all,

I am getting Fatal error while opening Rslogix5000 Software V20.01
and software work properly with V19 & V18 .

give some suggestion to handle Fatal error in rslogix5000 v20.01

Is there any particular reason why you have not update your V20.01 to the latest V20.04?

I know Rockwell fixed several issues related to V20.01-V20.03 in V20.04

Welcome to the Forum!

Your first post was here...

RS Logix 5000 Fatal Error Message when Opening Application

Where you asked...

Rutesh M Deshmukh said:
is this also works for v20.01
or need to have v20.03

Firstly,

You are receiving a Fatal Error while opening RSLogix 5000 v20.01. Is your error the same as the quoted Fatal Error in the other thread you first posted in? Not similar, the same?

Secondly,

The Fatal Error quoted in that other thread was specifically from opening v20.01, not v20.03. You were asking does that fix "also" work for v20.01, or do you need to have v20.03. The Repair fix that was suggested has worked for many users of v20.01, I'm sure, but it is a general fix for v20, and so much specific to any one minor version (.01, .03).

Here is the Rockwell Knowledgebase technote again which is specific to the issue quoted in the other thread (and possibly yours?)...

471207 - RSLogix 5000 v20 Fatal Error Opening or Creating projects
Access Level: TechConnect

Are you able to open that technote?

Have you attempted the Repair for RSLogix 5000 v20.01 under Windows Control Panel?

If it did not work - have you investigated whether any of the mentioned third-party software, or similar, are also installed? This is usually caused by other software interfering with the Registry and corrupting or deleting certain Rockwell Software related entries. A repair will only work if the offending software is either reconfigured, disabled or removed. A Repair may also appear to fix this issue, only for it to happen again at a later date. This is because the offending software has to do whatever it is it does to corrupt the Rockwell Software. This could be a manual or scheduled operation where the user does not realise the harm being caused.

Aside from attempting to fix or Repair v20.01...

Upgrading option...

Installing a newer minor version, such as v20.03 or v20.04, may appear to "fix" this type of error, but in reality all you are doing is uninstalling the erroneous software and installing new software which will usually not experience the same Fatal Error, unless you've cashed in all your Rockwell lucky chips! But I could not guarantee you that a newer version will not throw the same Fatal Error.

I'm not going to even look into the v20.01/.03 abyss here but I will simply, yet earnestly, say - do not upgrade from v20.01 to v20.03 in an attempt to "fix" this issue.

If upgrading, go straight to v20.04 latest, as advised. It is the most stable and compatible version for all v20 project files. I don't know for certain if RSLogix 5000 v20.04 has addressed this particular issue. You'd have to review the Release Notes, but I would imagine that this specific error will not be mentioned as a "Corrected Anomoly".

All the above is assuming you have the same Fatal Error here. Not similar, the same?

Regards,
George

Not sure if it applies to RS5K, but I had the same experience with RSLogix 500 after I was online and had the .RSS file on a flash drive.

After that whenever I tried to open RSL500 I got a fatal error and it closed. Turns out RSL500 was looking for the drive the last opened file was on and with no flash drive in the laptop it crashed. When I tried to open it with another flash drive in it (for another reason) it opened without issue. [The flash drive this time did not have the .RSS file or even the PLC folder, so it was only looking for the drive itself)

Now if I have to use a flash drive file - before I close RSL I open any project I have on my hard drive, then close RSL.

I would always advocate an update/install of the latest minor revision of the programming software within any major revision.

Version 20.04 has (so far) proved stable with me, and has always been able to open any Vers.20 project files.

I have to "run as administrator" all versions of RSLogix 5000 to avoid crashes. Only have to do it once per version. Co-workers' machine had the same symptom with same resolution.

We are all administrators as users of our machines. Run as Admin is one of the things I always try first for any application that gives me problems on Windows 7 pro and more than half the time if fixes my problems.

"Always" be careful with "any" absolutes...

daba said:
I would always advocate an update/install of the latest minor revision of the programming software within any major revision...

Yes, I would agree, but with one exception that I can think of, to "always" and "any"...

Studio 5000 Logix Designer v21 does not have the luxury of a .04 minor version, or any other. Whether we think there should be or not, there are undoubtedly r21 controllers in operation for which users could consider upgrading their software at some point in the future. If they were experiencing issues like the above, for instance. If they are running Logix Designer v21.01 (non resiliency) then there only option to upgrade to the latest minor version, within major version 21, is v21.03 (resiliency features). Again, without looking into that abyss, and similar to my advice above to skip v20.03, we would not recommend upgrading from v21.01 to v21.03. As the only option for skipping passed v21.03 is to go to a higher major version than 21, that would be the best advisable course of action to take in this particular case. If a software upgrade must be made to a higher major version than 21, then of course a firmware revision upgrade would also be necessary for the controller.

Because they quickly jumped passed Studio 5000 v21, to the next, and the next, and so on, while adding features and fixing issues; version 21 is most likely resigned to the history books, as far as Rockwell are concerned. We will probably never see a v21.04 at this stage, but who knows? For Studio 5000, I'm sure Rockwell would best advise users to upgrade to the latest major software version, where possible, moreso than latest minor version within a major version. But that advice would have to be further case by case assesed depending on the hardware used.

Perhaps a cleverer way to distinguish between what you have advised and the Studio 5000 Logix Designer v21 caveat that I've mentioned is to better qualify "the programming software", if you'll forgive me...

daba said:
I would always advocate an update/install of the latest minor revision of RSLogix 5000 programming software within any major revision...

This qualification, replacing "the" with "RSLogix 5000", should disqualify Studio 5000 Logix Designer completely from your advice and would validate the use of "always" and "any", I think. Unless there are possible exceptions for any of the RSLogix 5000 versions that I'm not thinking of?

But I won't start splitting hairs here, unless it's too late and it's already thought that I am? It's just the way my mind works, relentlessly.

G.