Logix Ethernet to Raster Printer

travispedley

So apparently we bought a couple of Print and Apply units for a machine.
usually we have zebra engines, crank out a little ZPL and the world keeps a-spinnin.

Well, these beauties are raster printers. they need a bitmap to print. my plc has to generate the barcode data.

Any relatively simple ideas how to get my PLC generated barcode data into a PC running some sort of barcode generation program, which will then print to these abominations?

Any suggestions are welcome, although i already suggested we throw these damn things away and get some normal industrial printers. that was not met with much approval.

Thanks.

definitely 2d.

per our quote, this is all the information i have currently.

The labeling rate will be capable of 20 parts per minute using a single
machine. The label content / format: GS1, unique ID, 600 dpi. Label date will be contained
in the PLC and will increment count.

Oh, that's serialization related I bet!

We use Bartender Automation(might need Enterprise Automation but I don't think so) to automate this locally. If there's a windows driver for the raster printers, you can setup bartender to look at a database or a folder for text files to trigger it to look for data.

Then, use the HMI to push the data you want to a database and trigger the printing perhaps.

The problem is I have no idea how to do any of that. I'm a PLC programmer, I have zero knowledge of PC programming. Was hoping for a simple solution (for me) especially because none of this was prepared for financially. I didn't expect to have to buy a PC or any other software. I was expecting a zebra engine. Of course, what I expect means nothing lol, I rarely get a chance to look at quotes before we send them out.

Oh yeah, that's problematic.

I have no idea what kind of printers they specced, but check and see if the printer can store the 'template' and let you just send data to it either through ethernet or serial?