FactoryTalk View I-O tags to bit level

beethoven_ii

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on a number of HMI projects just now using Factorytalk View ME V9 and I've come to map in my I-O onto the status pages of the screen and found that it no longer allows me to add I-O tags down to the bit level. Previously the tag browser would only go to 'Local:1:I.Data' level but it allowed you to manually add the .1 or whatever bit you needed at the end. If I do this now it doesn't work and the screen can't read the status of the bit.

I have come across this before on a project some months back and just I created aliases for the I-O tags. The project I'm working on now is much larger and I wondered if there was another way I could achieve what I need without creating endless arrays of alias tags in my plc?

Thanks for the reply.
That's exactly what I have been doing for years but now it doesn't seem to work. I can manually add the bit reference as I've always done but the screen doesn't read the tag when I connect it to the plc.

Are you sure you not doing something wrong.

It is working for me.

I have just quickly set it up with emulator and I can change a bit and it is changing animation on the HMI

Maybe you have module inhibited?

You are correct. I've tried it again and now it works. I started trying to do it on my Point I-O tags, not the Local I-O tags and must have selected the wrong option. The point I-O tags have a physical address and an alias which are automatically generated. I must have chosen the wrong one.

Thanks for your help

After having further problems with this I discovered the true cause of my confusion this morning. In my screen project I had referenced the tags for animation with slot numbers using Slot8_Input0 for example whereas the correct tag name should have been Slot_8_Input0. The additional underscore was my problem and not the software.