AD DL06 port 1 parity setting

elevmike

I have a project where I need to use port 2 for a network to another DL06. I also need a modem connection. So I need to connect the modem to port 1. The manual seems to infer that the parity setting on port 1 can be changed, but I cant seem to figure on how. The default parity is odd, but I need to change to none. Can this be done?

dl06 port 1.jpg

In DirecSoft32, 'PLC' menu, then 'Setup', when you're connected to a PLC, the selection 'Setup second Comm. Port' is available. It's not available if you're not connected. From there, you can change the parity setting. I was connected to a DL05 when I went through the steps. I don't have a DL06 available to try it on. Hope it helps.

I wonder....If I connect via port 2 if then I can get port 1 in the pulldown menu?? Now I've got to make up a cable to try that..

dl06port1.jpg

http://forum1.automationdirect.com/board/Forum5/HTML/000278.html

Last edited:
Ron,

Was that from a newer manual? My DL05 manual shows the Port 1 settings similar to what Mike posted, which leads one to believe that it might be possible to change the parity setting. What you posted leaves no doubt that the parity setting is fixed.

Ron,

Where did you get that? My manual and the download manual shows parity: odd (default), not "(fixed)".

Apparently it is fixed by default..since there seems to be no way to change it.

Life in the jungle... Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

I was posting at the same time and missed the last comments.

Ron, thanks for popping my baloon before I wasted too much time on trying to make it fly...

They way this is going to be configured there will be no spare slots, so cant go enet to the other '06. Looks like im in trouble unless I go back to a DL205. There goes the budget....

Actually I kind of like the AD (Koyo) method of having one port that you always know the setting of because they can't be changed. That's one point that differentiates the DL06 from the DL205 is the lesser expandibility.

Mike,

The DL06 port 1 is fixed at odd parity. You can put a modem on it, but the modem must support odd parity (most modern modems don't, this is why ADC sells the MDM-TEL.) At the moment I do not know of a supplier other than Six-Net that sells odd Parity modems (feel free to let me know if there are others).

Multi-Tech used to sell an odd parity modem, but I think they changed firmware a year or so back and quit supporting it.

PS. Port 2 is preferred because you can change the baud, parity, and timeouts to allow for nasty phone lines, but I have used modems on Port 1 in the past.

Westermo sells modems that you can configure to odd parity, and supposedly can even re-configure while connected. They have nice stuff, but is is a little pricey.

Icky,

I'm using a USR external Sportster. Quite by accident we've connected to port 1 on the 240 cpu with K-sequence & odd parity (contrary to older AD modem useage documentation). Since then I've "fixed" that problem and now wish I had'nt. I believe that USR has a Modem Configuator that shows an option for odd, evem, or none parity. I have to go through my old CDs and find it, as I cannot locate an AT command for the modem to change the parity setting.

Also Richard, talk to Andy T. I believe he's another AD tech support guy. He may have a solution but I have to wait for him to check it out.

Thanks, Mike.

At one time I had the info for the Sportster, but unfortunately I can't locate it now. :( Sorry.

Hopefully Andy will be able to locate it.